Even (mixed) risk lovers are prudent
The purpose of this note is to analyze properties of the risk lovers? utility function beyond the positive sign of its second order derivative. We show that??contrarily to a priori beliefs??risk lovers are prudent and are willing to accumulate precautionary savings.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, rue de la Digue, FR-59000 Lille|
Web page: http://www.ieseg.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005.
"Putting Risk in its Proper Place,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "Putting risk in its proper place," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Eeckhoudt & H. Schlesinger, 2006. "Putting risk in its proper place," Post-Print hal-00283170, HAL.
- H. Schlesinger & L. Eeckhoudt & I. Tsetlin, 2009.
"Apportioning of risks via stochastic dominance,"
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Caballe, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1996.
"Mixed Risk Aversion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 485-513, November.
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1980. "Increasing Nth degree risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 329-333.
- Noussair, C.N. & Trautmann, S.T. & van de Kuilen, G., 2011.
"Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions,"
2011-055, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Charles N. Noussair & Stefan T. Trautmann & Gijs van de Kuilen, 2014. "Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(1), pages 325-355.
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2010.
"Exploring Higher Order Risk Effects,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 77(4), pages 1403-1420.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Menezes, Carmen F. & Wang, X.Henry, 2005.
"Increasing outer risk,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 875-886, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ies:wpaper:e201105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.