Even (mixed) risk lovers are prudent
The purpose of this note is to analyze properties of the risk lovers? utility function beyond the positive sign of its second order derivative. We show that??contrarily to a priori beliefs??risk lovers are prudent and are willing to accumulate precautionary savings.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, rue de la Digue, FR-59000 Lille|
Web page: http://www.ieseg.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Schlesinger & L. Eeckhoudt & I. Tsetlin, 2009.
"Apportioning of risks via stochastic dominance,"
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2006.
"Putting Risk in Its Proper Place,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 280-289, March.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "Putting risk in its proper place," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1871, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- L. Eeckhoudt & H. Schlesinger, 2006. "Putting risk in its proper place," Post-Print hal-00283170, HAL.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Harris Schlesinger, 2005. "Putting Risk in its Proper Place," CESifo Working Paper Series 1462, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ekern, Steinar, 1980. "Increasing Nth degree risk," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 329-333.
- Cary Deck & Harris Schlesinger, 2008.
"Exploring Higher-Order Risk Effects,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2487, CESifo Group Munich.
- Charles N. Noussair & Stefan T. Trautmann & Gijs van de Kuilen, 2014.
"Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 81(1), pages 325-355.
- Noussair, C.N. & Trautmann, S.T. & van de Kuilen, G., 2011. "Higher Order Risk Attitudes, Demographics, and Financial Decisions," Discussion Paper 2011-055, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Menezes, Carmen F. & Wang, X.Henry, 2005.
"Increasing outer risk,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 875-886, November.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
NBER Working Papers
2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Caballé, Jordi & Pomansky, Alexey, 1995.
"Mixed Risk Aversion,"
Working Paper Series
444, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ies:wpaper:e201105. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monika Marin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.