Heterogenous switching costs
We consider a simple two period model where consumers have different switching costs. Before the market opens, there was an incumbent who sold to all consumers. We identify the equilibrium both with Stackelberg and Bertrand competition and show how the presence of low switching cost consumers benefits the incumbent, despite the fact that it never sells to any of them.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE|
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biglaiser, Gary & Crémer, Jacques & Dobos, Gergely, 2013.
"The value of switching costs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 935-952.
- Biglaiser, Gary & Crémer, Jacques & Dobos, Gergely, 2010. "The value of switching costs," TSE Working Papers 10-142, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE), revised 30 Oct 2012.
- Biglaiser, Gary & Crémer, Jacques & Dobos, Gergely, 2010. "The value of switching costs," IDEI Working Papers 596, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 30 Oct 2012.
- Bouckaert, Jan & Degryse, Hans & Provoost, Thomas, 2010.
"Enhancing market power by reducing switching costs,"
Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 131-133, November.
- Jan Bouckaert & Hans Degryse & Thomas Provoost, 2008. "Enhancing Market Power by Reducing Switching Costs," CESifo Working Paper Series 2449, CESifo Group Munich.
- BOUCKAERT, Jan & DEGRYSE, Hans & PROVOOST, Thomas, 2010. "Enchancing market power by reducing switching costs," Working Papers 2010008, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bouckaert, J.M.C. & Degryse, H.A. & Provoost, T., 2008. "Enhancing Market Power by Reducing Switching Costs," Discussion Paper 2008-91, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Paul Klemperer, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-394.
- Paulo Somaini & Liran Einav, 2013. "A Model of Market Power in Customer Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 938-986, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ide:wpaper:27786. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.