The Shannon Information of Filtrations and the Additional Logarithmic Utility of Insiders
The background for the general mathematical link between utility and information theory investigated in this paper is a simple financial market model with two kinds of small traders: less informed traders and insiders, whose extra information is represented by an enlargement of the other agents’ filtration. The expected logarithmic utility increment, i.e. the difference of the insider’s and the less informed trader’s expected logarithmic utility is described in terms of the information drift, i.e. the drift one has to eliminate in order to perceive the price dynamics as a martingale from the insider’s perspective. On the one hand, we describe the information drift in a very general setting by natural quantities expressing the probabilistic better informed view of the world. This on the other hand allows us to identify the additional utility by entropy related quantities known from information theory. In particular, in a complete market in which the insider has some fixed additional information during the entire trading interval, its utility increment can be represented by the Shannon information of his extra knowledge. For general markets, and in some particular examples, we provide estimates of maximal utility by information inequalities.
|Date of creation:||May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imkeller, Peter & Pontier, Monique & Weisz, Ferenc, 2001. "Free lunch and arbitrage possibilities in a financial market model with an insider," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 103-130, March.
- José Mª Corcuera & Peter Imkeller & Arturo Kohatsu & David Nualart, 2003. "Additional utility of insiders with imperfect dynamical information," Economics Working Papers 675, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Amendinger, Jürgen & Imkeller, Peter & Schweizer, Martin, 1998. "Additional logarithmic utility of an insider," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 263-286, July.
- Martin Schweizer & Dirk Becherer & Jürgen Amendinger, 2003. "A monetary value for initial information in portfolio optimization," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 29-46.
- Amendinger, Jürgen & Imkeller, Peter & Schweizer, Martin, 1998. "Additional logarithmic utility of an insider," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,25, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Duffie, Darrell & Huang, Chi-fu, 1986. "Multiperiod security markets with differential information : Martingales and resolution times," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 283-303, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2005-030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.