Money-Market Segmentation in the Euro Area: What has Changed During the Turmoil?
I study how the pattern of segmentation in the Euro area money market has been affected by the recent turmoil in financial markets. I use nonparametric estimates of realized volatility to test for volatility spillovers between rates at different maturities. For the pre-turmoil period, exogeneity tests from VAR models suggest the presence of a transmission channel from longer maturities to the overnight. This disappears in the subsample starting in August 9 2007. Quantile measures of comovements in volatility report evidence of an increase in contagion within the longer end of the money market curve.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2001.
"Contagion: How to Measure It?,"
NBER Working Papers
8118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002.
"Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement," NBER Technical Working Papers 0279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2008.
"The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform,"
Working Paper Series
0988, European Central Bank.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2009. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform," Post-Print hal-00393027, HAL.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2008. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: Evidence from an electronic platform," Post-Print hal-00393019, HAL.
- Lorenzo Cappiello & Bruno Gérard & Arjan Kadareja & Simone Manganelli, 2014.
"Measuring Comovements by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 12(4), pages 645-678.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Rigobon, Roberto, 2002. "Currency crises and contagion: an introduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 307-313, December.
- Hansen, Peter R. & Lunde, Asger, 2006. "Realized Variance and Market Microstructure Noise," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 127-161, April.
- Carlo Rosa & Giovanni Verga, 2008. "The Impact of Central Bank Announcements on Asset Prices in Real Time," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(2), pages 175-217, June.
- Alain Durré & Stefano Nardelli, 2008. "Volatility in the Euro area money market: effects from the monetary policy operational framework," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 307-322.
- Idier, Julien & Nardelli, Stefano, 2008. "Probability of informed trading on the euro overnight market rate: an update," Working Paper Series 0987, European Central Bank.
- Francisco Alonso & Roberto Blanco, 2005. "Is the volatility of the EONIA transmitted to longer-term euro money market interest rates?," Working Papers 0541, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Kadareja, Arjan & Manganelli, Simone, 2006. "Financial integration of new EU Member States," Working Paper Series 0683, European Central Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sunrpe:2009_0011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.