Money-Market Segmentation in the Euro Area: What has Changed During the Turmoil?
I study how the pattern of segmentation in the Euro area money market has been affected by the recent turmoil in financial markets. I use nonparametric estimates of realized volatility to test for volatility spillovers between rates at different maturities. For the pre-turmoil period, exogeneity tests from VAR models suggest the presence of a transmission channel from longer maturities to the overnight. This disappears in the subsample starting in August 9 2007. Quantile measures of comovements in volatility report evidence of an increase in contagion within the longer end of the money market curve.
|Date of creation:||23 Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Kadareja, Arjan & Manganelli, Simone, 2006. "Financial integration of new EU Member States," Working Paper Series 0683, European Central Bank.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0841, Econometric Society.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Edwards, Sebastian & Rigobon, Roberto, 2002. "Currency crises and contagion: an introduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 307-313, December.
- Idier, Julien & Nardelli, Stefano, 2008. "Probability of informed trading on the euro overnight market rate: an update," Working Paper Series 0987, European Central Bank.
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2008.
"The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: Evidence from an electronic platform,"
- R. Beaupain & A. Durre, 2009. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform," Post-Print hal-00393027, HAL.
- Beaupain, Renaud & Durré, Alain, 2008. "The interday and intraday patterns of the overnight market: evidence from an electronic platform," Working Paper Series 0988, European Central Bank.
- Hansen, Peter R. & Lunde, Asger, 2006. "Realized Variance and Market Microstructure Noise," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 127-161, April.
- Carlo Rosa & Giovanni Verga, 2008. "The Impact of Central Bank Announcements on Asset Prices in Real Time," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 4(2), pages 175-217, June.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Manganelli, Simone, 2005.
"Measuring comovements by regression quantiles,"
Working Paper Series
0501, European Central Bank.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2001.
"Contagion: How to Measure It?,"
NBER Working Papers
8118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002.
"Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-27, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold, 2002. "Parametric and Nonparametric Volatility Measurement," NBER Technical Working Papers 0279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alain Durré & Stefano Nardelli, 2008. "Volatility in the Euro area money market: effects from the monetary policy operational framework," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 307-322.
- Francisco Alonso & Roberto Blanco, 2005. "Is the volatility of the EONIA transmitted to longer-term euro money market interest rates?," Working Papers 0541, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sunrpe:2009_0011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.