Inertial Inflation, Indexation and Price Stickiness: Evidence from Brazil
This paper evaluates the inertial inflation hypothesis for Brazil during the 1970s and the first half of the 1980s. According to this hypothesis, (wage) indexation created a feedback mechanism such that one-time supply shocks were fully transmitted into permanent increases in inflation. First a simple theoretical model is used to show that the hypothesis is based on the assumption of perfect price flexibility. When price stickiness is introduced, indexation does not produce inertial inflation. Then, to investigate the impact of indexation on inflation, the degree of inertia (persistence) is compared between two periods, one with widespread indexation (1969-1985) and an earlier one without indexation (1945-1963). Unit root tests and the variance ratio test are used. The variance ratio test is also applied to inflation in the U.S. for the period (1969-1985) and France for (1983-1993), a period when there was no wage indexation. Finally, vector-autoregressive representations are estimated for the period 1972-1985. They differ from earlier work in that price tickiness is allowed for. The empirical results do not support the inertial inflation hypothesis; inertia does not seem to have been unusually high during the period of indexation, and impulse response analysis indicates that inflation shocks had only short-run effects on the level of inflation.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||13 Oct 1998|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Development Economics, 1999, pages 407-421.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Business, Economics and Law, University of Gothenburg, Box 640, SE 405 30 GÖTEBORG, Sweden|
Phone: 031-773 10 00
Web page: http://www.handels.gu.se/econ/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Staggered Wage Setting in a Macro Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(2), pages 108-113, May.
- Persio Arida & André Lara Resende, 1985. "Inertial inflation and monetary reform in Brazil," Textos para discussão 85, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1987.
"Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 102(4), pages 857-880.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1986. "Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?," NBER Working Papers 1916, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Mankiw, Gregory, 1987. "Are Output Fluctuations Transitory?," Scholarly Articles 3122545, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Novaes, Ana Dolores, 1993. "Revisiting the inertial inflation hypothesis for Brazil," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 89-110, October.
- Cardoso, Eliana A & Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1987. "Brazil's Tropical Plan," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 288-292, May.
- Eliana A. Cardoso & Rudiger Dornbusch, 1987. "Brazil's Tropical Plan," NBER Working Papers 2142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorge Marshall & Felipe Morandé, 1989. "Una Interpretación Keynesiana- Inercialista de la Inflación Brasileña en los Años Ochenta," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 26(79), pages 353-366.
- Cardoso, Eliana A., 1983. "Indexação e acomodação monetária: um teste do processo inflacionário brasileiro," Revista Brasileira de Economia - RBE, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 37(1), January.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)