Optimal agricultural policy and PSE measurement: an assessment and application to Norway
The producer support estimate calculated by the OECD is widely misused as an indicator of distortions created by agricultural policies. In this paper we demonstrate rigorously that a change in the relative (percentage) PSE is not an accurate indicator of the implications of policy reform for domestic welfare or for trade distortions. If there are positive externalities linked to agricultural inputs (e.g., land), we demonstrate that replacing output subsidies by optimal Pigouvian subsidies may result in an increase or a reduction in relative PSE depending on the parameters of the production function. Using the example of Norway we show that an increase in the relative PSE is likely if the focus of agricultural policies shifts from income support to the provision of public goods.
|Date of creation:||23 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chang, Hung-Hao & Boisvert, Richard N. & Blandford, David, 2005. "Achieving Environmental Objectives Under Reduced Domestic Agricultural Support and Trade Liberalization: An Empirical Application to Taiwan," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(1), April.
- Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vårdal, Erling, 2005.
"Multifunctionality of agriculture: An inquiry into the complementarity between landscape preservation and food security,"
Working Papers in Economics
11/05, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Rolf Jens Brunstad & Ivar Gaasland & Erling Vardal, 2005. "Multifunctionality of agriculture: an inquiry into the complementarity between landscape preservation and food security," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 469-488, December.
- Brunstad, Rolf Jens & Gaasland, Ivar & Vardal, Erling, 2005. "Multifunctionality of Agriculture: An Inquiry Into the Complementarity Between Landscape Preservation and Food Security," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24470, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jeffrey M. Peterson & Richard N. Boisvert & Harry de Gorter, 2002. "Environmental policies for a multifunctional agricultural sector in open economies," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 423-443, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:bergec:2008_012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell Erik Lommerud)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.