The Origins of the (Cooperative) Species: Raiffeisen Banking in the Netherlands, 1898–1909
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Colvin, Christopher L. & Henderson, Stuart & Turner, John D., 2018. "The origins of the (cooperative) species: Raiffeisen banking in the Netherlands, 1898-1909," QUCEH Working Paper Series 2018-03, Queen's University Belfast, Queen's University Centre for Economic History.
References listed on IDEAS
- Angel Pascual Martinez-Soto & Susana Martinez-Rodriguez & Ildefonso Mendez, 2012. "Spain's development of rural credit cooperatives from 1900 to 1936: the role of financial resources and formal education," European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 449-468, November.
- Ingrid Henriksen & Eoin McLaughlin & Paul Sharp, 2015.
"Contracts and cooperation: the relative failure of the Irish dairy industry in the late nineteenth century reconsidered,"
European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 412-431.
- Ingrid Henriksen & Eoin McLaughlin & Paul Sharp, 2015. "Contracts and cooperation: The relative failure of the Irish dairy industry in the late nineteenth century reconsidered," Working Papers 0071, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Henriksen, Ingrid & McLaughlin, Eoin & Sharp, Paul, 2015. "Contracts and cooperation: The relative failure of the Irish dairy industry in the late nineteenth century reconsidered," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 216, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Ingrid Henriksen & Eoin McLaughlin & Paul Sharp, 2015. "Contracts and Cooperation: The Relative Failure of the Irish Dairy Industry in the Late Nineteenth Century Reconsidered," Discussion Papers in Environment and Development Economics 2015-01, University of St. Andrews, School of Geography and Sustainable Development.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211-211.
- Wintle,Michael, 2000. "An Economic and Social History of the Netherlands, 1800â€“1920," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521782951, December.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Timothy Besley & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1994.
"Thy Neighbor's Keeper: The Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 491-515.
- Guinnane, T. & Banerjee, A. & Besley, T., 1993. "Thy Neighbor's Keeper: the Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test," Papers 705, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Heidi Deneweth & Oscar Gelderblom & Joost Jonker, 2014. "Microfinance And The Decline Of Poverty: Evidence From The Nineteenth-Century Netherlands," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 39(1), pages 79-110, March.
- Colvin, Christopher L., 2017.
"Banking on a Religious Divide: Accounting for the Success of the Netherlands' Raiffeisen Cooperatives in the Crisis of the 1920s,"
The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 77(3), pages 866-919, September.
- Colvin, Christopher L., 2017. "Banking on a religious divide: Accounting for the success of the Netherlands' Raiffeisen cooperatives in the crisis of the 1920s," QUCEH Working Paper Series 2017-03, Queen's University Belfast, Queen's University Centre for Economic History.
- Galassi, Francesco L., 2001. "Measuring social capital: Culture as an explanation of Italy's economic dualism," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 29-59, April.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, September.
- repec:cge:wacage:2016 is not listed on IDEAS
- Polsi, Alessandro, 1996. "Financial institutions in nineteenth-century Italy. The rise of a banking system1," Financial History Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(2), pages 117-137, October.
- Hollis, Aidan & Sweetman, Arthur, 1998. "Microcredit: What can we learn from the past?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1875-1891, October.
- Eoin McLaughlin, 2014. "'Profligacy in the encouragement of thrift': Savings banks in Ireland, 1817-1914," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 56(4), pages 569-591, June.
- Guinnane, Timothy W., 2001. "Cooperatives As Information Machines: German Rural Credit Cooperatives, 1883â€“1914," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 366-389, June.
- Christopher L. Colvin & Eoin McLaughlin, 2014. "Raiffeisenism abroad: why did German cooperative banking fail in Ireland but prosper in the Netherlands?," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 67(2), pages 492-516, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Suesse, Marvin & Wolf, Nikolaus, 2020.
"Rural transformation, inequality, and the origins of microfinance,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 143(C).
- Marvin Suesse & Nikolaus Wolf, 2019. "Rural Transformation, Inequality, and the Origins of Microfinance," CESifo Working Paper Series 7990, CESifo.
- Suesse, Marvin & Wolf, Nikolaus, 2019. "Rural Transformation, Inequality, and the Origins of Microfinance," CEPR Discussion Papers 14178, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
More about this item
KeywordsCooperative banking; the Netherlands; Raiffeisen; religion;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N83 - Economic History - - Micro-Business History - - - Europe: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2018-04-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hes:wpaper:0126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Sharp). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ehessea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.