Are We Retiring Too Early?
The European population is living longer but retiring earlier. More and more individuals are spending an increasing fraction of their lifetime relying on retirement benefits. At the same time, social security programs face mounting financial difficulties. The purpose of this paper is to explain why people are retiring so young and why it is so difficult to reverse a trend that could turn out to be fatal to social security systems that have worked so well up to now.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: UNIVERSITE DE LIEGE, Faculte d'economie, de gestion et de sciences sociales, Groupe d'Etude des Mathematiques du Management et de l'Economie. 4000 Liege, BELGIQUE|
Web page: http://www.quantom.hec.ulg.ac.be/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fehr, H. & Sterkeby, W.I. & Thogersen, O., 2000.
"Social Security Reforms and Early Retirement,"
16/00, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Olivia S. Mitchell, "undated".
"New Developments in the Economic Analysis of Retirement,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
98-8, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1999. "New developments in the economic analysis of retirement," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 49, pages 3261-3307 Elsevier.
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2005.
"Voting on Pensions with Endogenous Retirement Age,"
- Casamatta, Georges & Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2003. "Voting on Pensions with Endogenous Retirement Age," CEPR Discussion Papers 3778, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, "undated". "Voting on pensions with endogenous retirement age," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1754, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bea Cantillon & Louis Gevers & Victor Ginsburgh & Pierre Pestieau & Erik Schokkaert, 2000. "Réflexions sur l'avenir de nos retraites," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1663, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dellis, Arnaud & Jousten, Alain & Perelman, Sergio, 2001.
"Micro-Modelling of Retirement in Belgium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2795, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2003.
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, January.
- Conde-Ruiz, J.I. & Galasso, V., 2000. "Early Retirement," Economics Working Papers eco2000/24, European University Institute.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, "undated". "Early retirement," Working Papers 2003-03, FEDEA.
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2000. "Early Retirement," CEPR Discussion Papers 2589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1986. " Payroll-Tax Financed Social Insurance with Variable Retirement," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 25-50.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, "undated".
"Reforming our pension system: is it a demographic, financial or political problem?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1468, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Reforming our pension system: Is it a demographic, financial or political problem?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 974-983, May.
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2002.
"Optimal Taxation of Capital and Labor Income with Social Security and Variable Retirement Age,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(2), pages 163-163, May.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, "undated". "Optimal taxation of capital and labor income with social security and variable retirement age," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1614, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1999.
"The political economy of social security,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1999055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER , Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, "undated". "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1475, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2000. "The Political Economy of Social Security," CESifo Working Paper Series 259, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peter Diamond, 2004. "Social Security," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Francisco M. Lagos & Juan Antonio Lacomba, 2001. "Election On Retirement Age," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1996. "Public Provision of Private Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 57-84, February.
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 1999. "Social Security and Retirement around the World," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub99-1, Enero.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:gemame:2001/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.