Are We Retiring Too Early?
The European population is living longer but retiring earlier. More and more individuals are spending an increasing fraction of their lifetime relying on retirement benefits. At the same time, social security programs face mounting financial difficulties. The purpose of this paper is to explain why people are retiring so young and why it is so difficult to reverse a trend that could turn out to be fatal to social security systems that have worked so well up to now.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.quantom.hec.ulg.ac.be/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Voting on pensions with endogenous retirement age,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1754, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, 2003.
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(1), pages 12-36, January.
- J. Ignacio Conde-Ruiz & Vincenzo Galasso, . "Early retirement," Working Papers 2003-03, FEDEA.
- Conde-Ruiz, J.I. & Galasso, V., 2000. "Early Retirement," Economics Working Papers eco2000/24, European University Institute.
- Conde-Ruiz, José Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo, 2000. "Early Retirement," CEPR Discussion Papers 2589, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dellis, Arnaud & Jousten, Alain & Perelman, Sergio, 2001.
"Micro-Modelling of Retirement in Belgium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2795, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fehr, Hans & Sterkeby, Wenche I. & Thøgersen, Øystein, 2000.
"Social security reforms and early retirement,"
W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers
24, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1986. " Payroll-Tax Financed Social Insurance with Variable Retirement," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 25-50.
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2000.
"The Political Economy of Social Security,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
259, CESifo Group Munich.
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER , Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1475, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1999. "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers 1999055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 1999. "Social Security and Retirement around the World," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub99-1, August.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Reforming our pension system: is it a demographic, financial or political problem?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1468, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Reforming our pension system: Is it a demographic, financial or political problem?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 974-983, May.
- Peter Diamond, 2004. "Social Security," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1996. "Public Provision of Private Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 57-84, February.
- Francisco M. Lagos & Juan Antonio Lacomba, 2001. "Election On Retirement Age," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2002.
"Optimal Taxation of Capital and Labor Income with Social Security and Variable Retirement Age,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(2), pages 163-, May.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Optimal taxation of capital and labor income with social security and variable retirement age," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1614, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bea Cantillon & Louis Gevers & Victor Ginsburgh & Pierre Pestieau & Erik Schokkaert, 2000. "Réflexions sur l'avenir de nos retraites," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1663, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1999.
"New developments in the economic analysis of retirement,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 49, pages 3261-3307
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Olivia S. Mitchell, . "New Developments in the Economic Analysis of Retirement," Pension Research Council Working Papers 98-8, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:gemame:2001/03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.