Are we retiring too early?
The European population is living longer but retiring earlier. More and more individuals are spending an increasing fraction of their life-time relying on retirement benefits. At the same time, social security programs face mounting financial difficulties. The purpose of this paper is to explain why people are retiring so young and why it is so difficult to reverse a trend that could turn out to be fatal to social security systems that have worked so well up to now.To define the second-best retirement age as well as to explain why reasonable reforms are difficult, if not impossible, we use the tools of optimal income tax theory and of political economy.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||In : Zeitschrift für empirische Wirtschaftsforschung, ifo Studien, 3/2001(47), 263-281, 2001.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epple, Dennis & Romano, Richard E, 1996. "Public Provision of Private Goods," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 57-84, February.
- Conde-Ruiz, J.I. & Galasso, V., 2000.
Economics Working Papers
eco2000/24, European University Institute.
- Peter Diamond, 2004. "Social Security," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2000.
"The Political Economy of Social Security,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
259, CESifo Group Munich.
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, 1999. "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers 1999055, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER , Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "The political economy of social security," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1475, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Georges Casamatta & Helmuth Cremer & Pierre Pestieau, 2005.
"Voting on Pensions with Endogenous Retirement Age,"
- CASAMATTA, Georges & CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Voting on pensions with endogenous retirement age," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1754, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Casamatta, Georges & Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2003. "Voting on Pensions with Endogenous Retirement Age," CEPR Discussion Papers 3778, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 1999. "Social Security and Retirement around the World," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub99-1, February.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Olivia S. Mitchell, .
"New Developments in the Economic Analysis of Retirement,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
98-8, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1999. "New developments in the economic analysis of retirement," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 49, pages 3261-3307 Elsevier.
- Philippe Michel & Pierre Pestieau, 2002.
"Optimal Taxation of Capital and Labor Income with Social Security and Variable Retirement Age,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 59(2), pages 163-, May.
- MICHEL, Philippe & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Optimal taxation of capital and labor income with social security and variable retirement age," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1614, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fehr, Hans & Sterkeby, Wenche I. & Thøgersen, Øystein, 2000.
"Social security reforms and early retirement,"
W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers
24, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Francisco M. Lagos & Juan Antonio Lacomba, 2001. "Election On Retirement Age," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sveinbjörn Blöndal & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Retirement Decision in OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 202, OECD Publishing.
- Arnaud Dellis & Raphaël Desmet & Alain Jousten & Sergio Perelman, 2004.
"Micro-Modeling of Retirement in Belgium,"
in: Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Micro-Estimation, pages 41-98
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bea Cantillon & Louis Gevers & Victor Ginsburgh & Pierre Pestieau & Erik Schokkaert, 2000. "Réflexions sur l'avenir de nos retraites," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1663, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre, .
"Reforming our pension system: is it a demographic, financial or political problem?,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1468, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cremer, Helmuth & Pestieau, Pierre, 2000. "Reforming our pension system: Is it a demographic, financial or political problem?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 974-983, May.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1986. " Payroll-Tax Financed Social Insurance with Variable Retirement," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(1), pages 25-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvrp:1550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.