Merger Profitability in Unionized Oligopoly
We examine how a merger affects wages of unionized labour and, in turn, the profitability of a merger under both Cournot and Bertrand competition. If unions are plant-specific, we find that a merger is more profitable than in a corresponding model with exogenous wages. In contrast to the received literature, we find that it can be more profitable to take part in a merger than being an outsider. For firm-specific unions, on the orther hand, results are reversed.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.uib.no/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier M. López Cuñat & Miguel González-Maestre, 1999. "- Delegation And Endogenous Mergers In Oligopoly," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Bughin, Jacques, 1999. "The strategic choice of union-oligopoly bargaining agenda," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1029-1040, October.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1989. "Union-Oligopoly Bargaining," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 1123-42, December.
- McAfee, R Preston & Williams, Michael A, 1992. "Horizontal Mergers and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 181-87, June.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Davidson, Carl, 1988. "Multiunit Bargaining in Oligopolistic Industries," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(3), pages 397-422, July.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:2:p:185-99 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gokhale, Jagadeesh & Groshen, Erica L & Neumark, David, 1995.
"Do Hostile Takeovers Reduce Extramarginal Wage Payments?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(3), pages 470-85, August.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Erica L. Groshen & David Neumark, 1993. "Do Hostile Takeovers Reduce Extramarginal Wage Payments?," NBER Working Papers 4346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jagadeesh Gokhale & Erica L. Groshen & David Neumark, 1992. "Do hostile takeovers reduce extramarginal wage payments?," Working Paper 9215, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Nilssen, T. & Sogard, L., 1995.
"Sequential Horizontal Mergers,"
04-95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sorgard, Lars, 1997.
"Merger and product range rivalry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 21-42, November.
- Lommerud, K.E. & Sorgard, L., 1997. "Merger and Product Range Rivalery," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 165, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Manning, Alan, 1987. "An Integration of Trade Union Models in a Sequential Bargaining Framework," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(385), pages 121-39, March.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Ramon Fauli-Oller & Massimo Motta, 1996.
"Managerial Incentives for Takeovers,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(4), pages 497-514, December.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:104:y:1989:i:3:p:565-88 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:bereco:1000. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.