Chaotic dynamics and bifurcation in a macro model
The qualitative dynamics of a discrete time version of a deterministic, continuous time, nonlinear macro model formulated by Haavelmo are fully characterized. Recently developed methods of symbolic dynamics and ergodic theory are shown to provide a simple, effective means of analyzing the behavior of the resulting one-parameter family of first-order, deterministic, nonlinear difference equations. A complex periodic and random “aperiodic” orbit structure dependent on a key structural parameter is present, which contrasts with the total absence of such complexity in Haavelmo’s continuous time version. Several implications for dynamic economic modelling are discussed.
|Date of creation:||1980|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Hennepin Avenue, P.O. Box 291, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0291|
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Peter Hansen & Thomas J. Sargent, 1980. "Rational expectations models and the aliasing phenomenon," Staff Report 60, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1971. "Discrete Approximations to Continuous Time Distributed Lags in Econometrics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 545-563, May.
- L. G. Telser & R. L. Graves, 1968. "Continuous and Discrete Time Approaches to a Maximization Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 307-325.
- Klein, Lawrence R & Preston, R S, 1969. "Stochastic Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(1), pages 95-106, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmsr:55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.