An intertemporal model of consumption and portfolio allocation
We develop an infinite time horizon, continuous time model of portfolio choice and consumption allocation for an investor seeking to maximize the expected utility of his life-time consumption. In this model, the investor is endowed with capital that can be invested in long-lived capital assets and has, in addition, a stochastic stream of cash flows that could be interpreted as either a wage income stream or a stochastic endowment flow. We obtain a complete and original solution to the consumption-portfolio choice problem for the negative exponential and quadratic utility functions and special case solutions for the general power and log utility functions. The results obtained in this paper have significant implications for the theory of asset prices, the theory of mutual funds, optimal portfolio strategies of investors, and so forth. The results of the model can also be easily extended to one with a finite time horizon.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1000 Peachtree St., N.E., Atlanta, Georgia 30309|
Web page: http://www.frbatlanta.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1988.
"Portfolio Choice And Asset Pricing With Nontraded Assets,"
417, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1988. "Portfolio Choice and Asset Pricing With Nontraded Assets," NBER Working Papers 2774, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E. O. & Werner, Ingrid M., 1993.
"Nontraded assets in incomplete markets : Pricing and portfolio choice,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Svensson, L.E. & Werner, I., 1990. "Nontraded Assets in Incomplete Markets: Pricing and Portfolio Choices," Papers 477, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Zvi Bodie & Robert C. Merton & William F. Samuelson, 1992.
"Labor Supply Flexibility and Portfolio Choice in a Life-Cycle Model,"
NBER Working Papers
3954, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C. & Samuelson, William F., 1992. "Labor supply flexibility and portfolio choice in a life cycle model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 427-449.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedawp:95-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elaine Clokey)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.