Residual Autocorrelation Testing for Vector Error Correction Models
In applied time series analysis, checking for autocorrelation in a fitted model is a routine diagnostic tool. Therefore it is useful to know the asymptotic and small sample properties of the standard tests for the case when some of the variables are cointegrated. The properties of residual autocorrelations of vector error correction models (VECMs) and tests for residual autocorrelation are derived. In particular, the asymptotic distributions of Lagrange multiplier (LM) and portmanteau tests are given. Monte Carlo simulations show that the LM tests have advantages if autocorrelation of small order is tested whereas portmanteau tests are preferable for higher order residual autocorrelation. Their critical values have to be adjusted for the cointegration rank of the system, however.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Edgerton & Ghazi Shukur, 1999. "Testing autocorrelation in a system perspective testing autocorrelation," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 343-386.
- Hatemi-J, Abdulnasser, 2004. "Multivariate tests for autocorrelation in the stable and unstable VAR models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 661-683, July.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2005.
"Practical Problems with Reduced-rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(5), pages 673-690, October.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL, 2004. "Practical Problems with Reduced Rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/20, European University Institute.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2005. "Stability results for nonlinear error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 69-81, July.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001. "Statistical Inference In Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 327-356, April.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Mizon, Grayham E & Hendry, David F, 1980. "An Empirical Application and Monte Carlo Analysis of Tests of Dynamic Specification," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Efstathios Paparoditis, 2005. "Testing the Fit of a Vector Autoregressive Moving Average Model," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 543-568, 07.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2001. "Consistent Estimation In Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models With Nonlinear Time Trends In Cointegrating Relations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 296-326, April.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 1992. "Estimation and Testing of Cointegrated Systems by an Autoregressive Approximation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 1-27, March.
- Pierre Duchesne, 2005. "Testing for serial correlation of unknown form in cointegrated time series models," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 575-595, September.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2004/08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhoda Lane)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.