Global Supply Chains at Work in Central and Eastern European Countries:Impact of FDI on export restructuring and productivity growth
This paper empirically accounts for the importance of the 'global supply chains' concept for export restructuring and productivity growth in Central and Eastern European Countries (CEECs) in the period 1995-2007. Using industry-level data and accounting for technology intensity, we show that FDI has significantly contributed to export restructuring in the CEECs. The effects of FDI are, however, heterogenous across countries. While more advanced core CEECs succeeded in boosting exports in higher-end technology industries, non-core CEECs stuck with export specialization in lower-end technology industries. This suggests that where FDI flows have been directed is of key importance. Our results show that export restructuring and economic specialization brought about by FDI during the last two decades in the CEECs might matter a lot for their potential for long-run productivity growth. Industries of higher-end technology intensity have experienced substantially higher productivity growth and so have countries more successful in attracting FDI to these industries.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://feb.kuleuven.be/VIVES/vivesenglish/general/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cutler, Harvey & Berri, David J. & Ozawa, Terutomo, 2003. "Market recycling in labor-intensive goods, flying-geese style: an empirical analysis of East Asian exports to the U.S," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-50, February.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000.
"Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2115, The World Bank.
- Kojima, Kiyoshi, 2000. "The "flying geese" model of Asian economic development: origin, theoretical extensions, and regional policy implications," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 375-401.
- Luiz R. de Mello Jr., 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment in Developing Countries: A Selective Survey," Studies in Economics 9701, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Gabor Hunya, 2000. "International Competitiveness Impacts of FDI in CEECs," wiiw Research Reports 268, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Beata S. Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009.
"Tough Love: Do Czech Suppliers Learn from Their Relationships with Multinationals?,"
Working Papers Rutgers University, Newark
2009-004, Department of Economics, Rutgers University, Newark.
- Beata S. Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Tough Love: Do Czech Suppliers Learn from their Relationships with Multinationals?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(4), pages 811-833, December.
- Beata S. Javorcik & Mariana Spatareanu, 2009. "Tough Love: Do Czech Suppliers Learn from Their Relationships with Multinationals?," LICOS Discussion Papers 24909, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Diego Puga, 1996.
"The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0279, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 440-464, December.
- Diego Puga & Anthony J. Venables, 1996. "The spread of industry: spatial agglomeration in economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20683, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 1354, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006.
"What You Export Matters,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," NBER Working Papers 11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yuko Kinoshita, 2000. "R&D and technology spillovers via FDI: Innovation and absorptive capacity," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp163, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Jože P. Damijan & Matija Rojec, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment and Catching Up of New EU Member States: Is There a Flying Geese Pattern?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 53(2), pages 91-118.
- Silvio Contessi & Ariel Weinberger, 2009. "Foreign direct investment, productivity, and country growth: an overview," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 61-78.
- Damijan, Jože P. & Rojec, Matija & Majcen, Boris & Knell, Mark, 2013.
"Impact of firm heterogeneity on direct and spillover effects of FDI: Micro-evidence from ten transition countries,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 895-922.
- Joze P. Damijan & Matija Rojec & Boris Majcen & Mark Knell, 2008. "Impact of Firm Heterogeneity on Direct and Spillover Effects of FDI: Micro Evidence from Ten Transition Countries," LICOS Discussion Papers 21808, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Joze Damijan & Joep Konings & Saso Polanec, 2012.
"Pass-on Trade: Why do Firms Simultaneously Engage in Two-Way Trade in the Same Varieties?,"
Working Papers VIVES Research Centre for Regional Economics
31, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, VIVES Research Centre for Regional Economics.
- Jože Damijan & Jozef Konings & Sašo Polanec, 2013. "Pass-on trade: why do firms simultaneously engage in two-way trade in the same varieties?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 149(1), pages 85-111, March.
- Jože P. Damijan & Jozef Konings & Sašo Polanec, 2012. "Pass-on Trade: Why do Firms Simultaneously engage in Two-Way Trade in the Same Varieties?," LICOS Discussion Papers 31212, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Resmini, Laura & Nicolini, Marcella, 2007.
"Productivity Spillovers from Foreign Investment: The Role of Neglected Conditionalities,"
DYNREG11, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Marcella Nicolini & Laura Resmini, 2006. "The Impact of Mnes on Domestic Firms in CEECS: A Micro-Econometric Approach," ERSA conference papers ersa06p411, European Regional Science Association.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Ronald Findlay, 1978. "Relative Backwardness, Direct Foreign Investment, and the Transfer of Technology: A Simple Dynamic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(1), pages 1-16.
- Kálmán KALOTAY, 2010. "Patterns of inward FDI in economies in transition," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 1, pages 55-76, December.
- Ozawa, Terutomo, 2003. "Pax Americana-led macro-clustering and flying-geese-style catch-up in East Asia: mechanisms of regionalized endogenous growth," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 699-713, January.
- Wang, Jian-Ye, 1990. "Growth, technology transfer, and the long-run theory of international capital movements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 255-271, November.
- Luiz de Mello, 1997. "Foreign direct investment in developing countries and growth: A selective survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 1-34.
- Joze P. Damijan & Mark Knell & Boris Majcen & Matija Rojec, 2003. "Technology Transfer through FDI in Top-10 Transition Countries: How Important are Direct Effects, Horizontal and Vertical Spillovers?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 549, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Dowlinga, Malcolm & Cheang, Chia Tien, 2000. "Shifting comparative advantage in Asia: new tests of the "flying geese" model," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 443-463.
- Yuko Kinoshita, 2000. "R&D and Technology Spillovers via FDI: Innovation and Absorptive Capacity," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 349, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Marcella Nicolini & Laura Resmini, 2010. "FDI spillovers in new EU member states," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 18(3), pages 487-511, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ete:vivwps:37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library EBIB)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.