The Euro Zone Crisis and its Dimensions and Implications
The sovereign debt problems in the peripheral economies of the euro zone has started to pose a serious threat to the main economies of the Europe and perhaps to the future of the 'euroâ€˜ itself. Such a situation is a far cry from the optimism and grand vision that marked its launch. This paper is an attempt to understand the implications of the ongoing euro zone crisis and the factors that make it somewhat unique as the contradictions of a monetary union without a fiscal union are coming to fore. The paper shows that the crisis is not merely related to sovereign debt and bank financials, but also rooted in the real economy with structural problems. The manner in which the crisis is dealt is likely to be of far reaching significance to Europe and to the rest of the world. The stage seems set for a change in the way in which the euro zone will need to manage its monetary, fiscal and financial system. [Ministry of Finance WP]. URL:[http://finmin.nic.in/WorkingPaper/euro_zone_crisis.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jamal Ibrahim Haidar, 2012. "Sovereign Credit Risk in the Eurozone," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 13(1), pages 123-136, January.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2010.
"The Breakup of the Euro Area,"
in: Europe and the Euro, pages 11-51
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Crisis del euro in Wikipedia Spanish ne '')
- Европейский долговой кризис in Wikipedia Russian ne '')
- Причины возникновения европейского долгового кризиса in Wikipedia Russian ne '')
- Causes of the European debt crisis in Wikipedia English ne '')
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4764. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.