Subnational Taxes in Developing Countries: The Way Forward
It is critical to emphasize that intergovernmental fiscal relations must be thought of as a system and that all the pieces in the system must fit together if decentralization is to work properly. Various theories and experiences strongly suggest that if fiscal decentralization is to produce sustainable benefits in developing countries, then subnational governments require subnational taxes than the present system. Moreover, in developing countries there are potentially sound and productive taxes that subnational governments could use. This paper reviews the literature and evidence on the most appropriate structure of regional and local taxes in developing countries. [IIB WP no.16]
Keywords: subnational taxes; developing countries; subnational governments; fiscal decentralization; inter governmental fiscal relations; local tax; regional tax; real property taxes; excise taxes; personal income taxes; payroll taxes; consumption taxes; business taxes.;
Other versions of this item:
- Richard M. Bird & Roy Bahl, 2008. "Subnational Taxes in Developing Countries: The Way Forward," Working Papers Series 16, Rotman Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Aug 2008.
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- O23 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Fiscal and Monetary Policy in Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- Cristian Sepulveda & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2012.
"Explaining property tax collections in developing countries: the case of Latin America,"
Chapters,in: Decentralization and Reform in Latin America, chapter 7, pages iii-iii
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepúlveda, 2011. "Explaining Property Tax Collections in Developing Countries: The Case of Latin America," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1109, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Olga Buzu, 2014. "Development of Ad Valorem Real Property Taxation System in Moldova," Eurasian Journal of Economics and Finance, Eurasian Publications, vol. 2(3), pages 79-88.
- Catherine Althaus & Lindsay M. Tedds & Allen McAvoy, 2011. "The Feasibility of Implementing a Congestion Charge on the Halifax Peninsula: Filling the "Missing Link" of Implementation," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 37(4), pages 541-561, December.
- Althaus, Catherine & Tedds, Lindsay M & McAVoy, Allen, 2011. "The feasibility of implementing a congestion charge on the Halifax Peninsula: filling the 'Missing Link' of implementation," MPRA Paper 39790, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepulveda, 2012. "Intergovernmental transfers: a policy reform perspective," Chapters,in: Decentralization and Reform in Latin America, chapter 9, pages iii-iii Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Takaaki Masaki, 2016. "The impact of intergovernmental transfers on local revenue generation in Africa Evidence from Tanzania," WIDER Working Paper Series 113, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Roy Kelly, 2014. "Implementing sustainable property tax reform in developing countries," Chapters,in: Taxation and Development: The Weakest Link?, chapter 10, pages 326-363 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bird, Richard, 2010. "Taxation and Decentralization," World Bank - Economic Premise, The World Bank, issue 38, pages 1-5, November.
- Richard Bird, 2010. "Taxation and Decentralization," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10140, The World Bank.
- Odd-Helge Fjeldstad & Kari Heggstad, 2012. "Local government revenue mobilisation in Anglophone Africa," CMI Working Papers 6, CMI (Chr. Michelsen Institute), Bergen, Norway.
- Fjeldstad, Odd-Helge & Heggstad, Kari K., 2013. "Local Government Revenue Mobilisation in Anglophone Africa," Working Papers 11260, Institute of Development Studies, International Centre for Tax and Development.
- Ligia Alba Melo-Becerra, 2015. "The role of the sub-national public sector in the stabilization function: Evidence from the Colombian case for the period 1990-2001," REVISTA FINANZAS Y POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE COLOMBIA, vol. 7(2), pages 299-324, July.
- Roy Bahl, 2014. "A retrospective on taxation in developing countries: Will the weakest link be strengthened?," Chapters,in: Taxation and Development: The Weakest Link?, chapter 12, pages 405-442 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Roy Bahl, 2010. "A Retrospective on Taxation in Developing Countries: Will the Weakest Link be Strengthened?," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1318, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jaime Bonet Moron & Fabio Rueda Devivero, 2013. "Esfuerzo fiscal municipal en Guatemala," REVISTA ECONOMÍA & REGIÓN, UNIVERSIDAD TECNOLÓGICA DE BOLÍVAR, vol. 7(2), pages 5-41, December.
- Jaime Alfredo Bonet & Fabio Rueda, 2012. "Esfuerzo fiscal en los estados mexicanos," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 64598, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepulveda, 2012. "Toward a More General Theory of Revenue Assignments," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1231, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ligia Alba Melo-Becerra, 2016. "Sub-national fiscal policy under cooperative and non-cooperative models," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID, vol. 35(Especial ), pages 253-279, January.
- Gwilliam, Kenneth, 2013. "Cities on the move – Ten years after," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-18.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Cristian Sepúlveda, 2011. "Intergovernmental Transfers in Latin America: A Policy Reform Perspective," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1108, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Jeongwan Kim, 2014. "Intergovernmental Distribution of VAT Revenue in Korea: Local Consumption Tax," Korean Economic Review, Korean Economic Association, vol. 30, pages 109-131.
- Paolo Liberati & Agnese Sacchi, 2013. "Tax decentralization and local government size," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 157(1), pages 183-205, October.
- Paolo Liberati & Agnese Sacchi, 2010. "Tax Decentralisation and local Government size," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0123, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed