Integration of Financial Markets in Europe: Implications for the Irish Banking System
Even if the single currency of EMU looks less likely than it did to come on stream before the end of the century, there are still strong forces of integration in the European financial markets. These will colour the environment for the development of the Irish financial system and they call for responses both at the level of individual institutions and at the level of the Irish financial system as a whole. The paper considers the following aspects of integration of financial markets in Europe. (i) The degree to witch evolving plans for the implementation of monetary policy in the EMU are likely to take account of the particular needs of the banking systems in peripheral countries. (ii) The consequence of a relatively high dependence of the Irish (and UK) banking systems on short-term and variable interest rate deposits and loans. (iii) The question of regional variation in access to credit and in interest-rates in large markets.
|Date of creation:||Mar 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faini, Riccardo & Giannini, Curzio & Ingrosso, Fulvio, 1992.
"Finance and Development: The Case of Southern Italy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
674, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Faini, R. & Galli, G. & Giannini, C., 1992. "Finance and Development : the Case of Southern Italy," Papers 170, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Molyneux, Philip & Thornton, John, 1992. "Determinants of European bank profitability: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 1173-1178, December.
- Osborne, Dale K., 1988. "Competition and geographical integration in commercial bank lending," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 85-103, March.
- William Poole, 1969.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
Special Studies Papers
2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Staff Studies 57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jeroen J. M. Kremers & Timothy D. Lane, 1990. "Economic and Monetary Integration and the Aggregate Demand for Money in the EMS," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 777-805, December.
- Patrick Honohan, 1994. "Interest Rate Policy in Practice: A Review with some Implications for the Irish Banking System in the EMS," Papers WP046, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Melitz, Jacques, 1993. "Reflections on the Emergence of a Single Market for Bank Reserves in a European Monetary Union," CEPR Discussion Papers 818, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp050. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.