Does ERASMUS Student Mobility promote a EuropeanIdentity?
The potential of European student mobility to promote a European identity and,consequently, European integration has long been stressed by transactionalistssuch as Karl Deutsch but was never tested empirically. The EU-funded exchangeprogramme ERASMUS moves more than 150,000 university students annually,and it is still widely assumed it plays a pivotal role in the promotion of a Europeanidentity. Based on the results of a longitudinal survey among ERASMUS and nonmobilestudents I show that reality meets only partly these expectations. WhilstERASMUS enables students to improve their foreign language skills and learnmore about other European countries, it does not foster a European self-identity ora sense of European pride. However, the ERASMUS experience does help Britishstudents to feel more attached to Europe and to acknowledge they have things incommon with continental Europeans.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/fachbereich-sowi/professuren/wiener/forschung/publikationen/conwebpapers.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Follesdal & Simon Hix, 2006. "Why There is a Democratic Deficit in the EU: A Response to Majone and Moravcsik," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 533-562, 09.
- Paul How, 1995. "A Community of Europeans: The Requisite Underpinnings," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 27-46, 03.
- Arend Lijphart, 1964. "Tourist Traffic And Integration Potential," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(3), pages 251-262, 03.
- Daniela Obradovic, 1996. "Policy Legitimacy and the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 191-221, 06.
- Brigid Laffan, 1996. "The Politics of Identity and Political Order in Europe," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 81-102, 03.
- Cathleen Kantner, 2006. "What is a European Identity? The Emergence of a Shared Ethical Self-Understanding in the European Union," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 28, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Helen S. Feldstein, 1967. "A Study Of Transaction Andpolitical Integration Transnational Labour Flow Within The European Economic Community," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 24-55, 03.
- Amitai Etzioni, 2007. "The Community Deficit," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45, pages 23-42, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:conweb:p0036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sassan GHOLIAGHA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.