Inflationary Equilibrium in a Stochastic Economy with Independent Agents
We argue that even when macroeconomic variables are constant, underlying microeconomic uncertainty and borrowing constraints generate inflation. We study stochastic economies with fiat money, a central bank, one nondurable commodity, countably many time periods, and a continuum of agents. The aggregate amount of the commodity remains constant, but the endowments of individual agents fluctuate "independently" in a random fashion from period to period. Agents hold money and, prior to bidding in the commodity market each period, can either borrow from or deposit in a central bank at a fixed rate of interest. If the interest rate is strictly positive, then typically there will not exist an equilibrium with a stationary wealth distribution and a fixed price for the commodity. Consequently, we investigate stationary equilibria with inflation, in which aggregate wealth and prices rise deterministically and at the same rate. Such an equilibrium does exist under appropriate bounds on the interest rate set by the central bank and on the amount of borrowing by the agents. If there is no uncertainty, or if the stationary strategies of the agents select actions in the interior of their action sets in equilibrium, then the classical Fisher equation for the rate of inflation continues to hold and the real rate of interest is equal to the common discount rate of the agents. However, with genuine uncertainty in the endowments and with convex marginal utilities, no interior equilibrium can exist. The equilibrium inflation must then be higher than that predicted by the Fisher equation, and the equilibrium real rate of interest underestimates the discount rate of the agents.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Mathematical Economics (May 2014), 52: 1-11|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1992. "Construction of Stationary Markov Equilibria in a Strategic Market Game," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1033, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Karatzas, I. & Shubik, M. & Sudderth, W., 2000.
"A strategic market game with active bankruptcy,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 359-396, November.
- John Geanakoplos & Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1998. "A Strategic Market Game with Active Bankruptcy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1183, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- J. Geanakoplos & I. Karatzas & M. Shubik & W. Sudderth, 1999. "A Strategic Market Game with Active Bankruptcy," Working Papers 99-04-025, Santa Fe Institute.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William Sudderth & John Geanakoplos, 2006. "The inflationary bias of real uncertainty and the harmonic Fisher equation," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 28(3), pages 481-512, 08.
- Karatzas, Ioannis & Shubik, Martin & Sudderth, William D., 1997.
"A strategic market game with secured lending,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 207-247, September.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1995. "A Strategic Market Game With Secured Lending," Working Papers 95-03-037, Santa Fe Institute.
- Ioannis Karatzas & Martin Shubik & William D. Sudderth, 1995. "A Strategic Market Game with Secured Lending," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1099, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cwl:cwldpp:1708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matthew C. Regan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.