Detecting the Presence of Informed Price Trading Via Structural Break Tests
The occurrence of abnormal returns before unscheduled announcements is usually identified with informed price movements. Therefore, the detection of these observations beyond the range of returns due to the normal day-to-day activity of financial markets is a concern for regulators monitoring the right functioning of financial markets and for investors concerned about their investment portfolios. In this article we introduce a novel method to detect informed price movements via structural break tests for the intercept of an extended CAPM model describing the risk premium of financial returns. These tests are based on the use of a U-statistic type process that is sensitive to detecting changes in the intercept that occur very early in the evaluation period and that can be used to construct a consistent estimator of the timing of the change. As a byproduct, we show that estimators of the timing of change constructed from standard CUSUM statistics are inconsistent and therefore fail to provide useful information about the presence of informed price movements.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Social Sciences Building, City University London, Whiskin Street, London, EC1R 0JD, United Kingdom,|
Phone: +44 (0)20 7040 8500
Web page: http://www.city.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Filippo Altissimo & Valentina Corradi, 2000. "Strong Rules for Detecting the Number of Breaks in a Time Series," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0574, Econometric Society.
- Maddala,G. S. & Kim,In-Moo, 1999. "Unit Roots, Cointegration, and Structural Change," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521587822.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter & Kontrus, Karl, 1989. "A new test for structural stability in the linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 307-318, February.
- Altissimo, Filippo & Corradi, Valentina, 2003. "Strong rules for detecting the number of breaks in a time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 207-244, December.
- Vo, Minh T., 2008. "Strategic trading when some investors receive information before others," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 319-332.
- Pouliot, W. & Olmo, J., 2008. "U-statistic Type Tests for Structural Breaks in Linear Regression Models," Working Papers 08/15, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Kramer, Walter & Ploberger, Werner & Alt, Raimund, 1988. "Testing for Structural Change in Dynamic Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1355-69, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cty:dpaper:09/10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Publications Librarian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.