Bayesian Optimal Adaptive Estimation Using a Sieve prior
We derive rates of contraction of posterior distributions on nonparametric models resulting from sieve priors. The aim of the paper is to provide general conditions to get posterior rates when the parameter space has a general structure, and rate adaptation when the parameter space is, e.g., a Sobolev class. The conditions employed, although standard in the literature, are combined in a different way. The results are applied to density, regression, nonlinear autoregression and Gaussian white noise models. In the latter we have also considered a loss function which is different from the usual l2 norm, namely the pointwise loss. In this case it is possible to prove that the adaptive Bayesian approach for the l2 loss is strongly suboptimal and we provide a lower bound on the rate.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Felix Abramovich & Claudia Angelini & Daniela Canditiis, 2007. "Pointwise optimality of Bayesian wavelet estimators," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 59(3), pages 425-434, September.
- Felix Abramovich & Vadim Grinshtein & Athanasia Petsa & Theofanis Sapatinas, 2010. "On Bayesian testimation and its application to wavelet thresholding," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 97(1), pages 181-198.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1908 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/7335 is not listed on IDEAS
- Felix Abramovich & Umberto Amato & Claudia Angelini, 2004. "On Optimality of Bayesian Wavelet Estimators," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 31(2), pages 217-234.
- Judith Rousseau & Nicolas Chopin & Brunero Liseo, 2010. "Bayesian Nonparametric Estimation of the Spectral Density of a Long or Intermediate Memory Gaussian Process," Working Papers 2010-38, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/3984 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4659 is not listed on IDEAS
- Babenko, Alexandra & Belitser, Eduard, 2009. "On the posterior pointwise convergence rate of a Gaussian signal under a conjugate prior," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(5), pages 670-675, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2013-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.