Some Observations on the British and German 3G Telecom Auctions
I suggest explanations for the apparently puzzling bidding in the year 2000 British and German 3G telecom auctions. Relative-performance maximisation may have been important, but the outcome of the British auction seems to have been efficient. This paper bundles my comments on two papers presented at the December 2001 CES Ifo conference on the telecom auctions. (For those readers new to the subject, I recommend first reading ‘How (Not) to Run Auctions: the European 3G Telecom Auctions’ European Economic Review 2002 and at www.paulklemperer.org and ‘The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licenses’ Economic Journal 2002 and also at www.paulklemperer.org.)
|Date of creation:||Oct 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moldovanu, Benny & Ewerhart, Christian, 2002.
"A stylized model of the German UMTS auction,"
02-07, Sonderforschungsbreich 504.
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 1994.
"Auctions vs. Negotiations,"
NBER Working Papers
4608, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Klemperer & Ken Binmore, 2001.
"The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2002-W04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2002. "The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages C74-C96, March.
- Binmore, Kenneth & Klemperer, Paul, 2002. "The Biggest Auction Ever: The Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licences," CEPR Discussion Papers 3214, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ken Binmore & Paul Klemperer, 2001. "The Biggest Auction Ever: the Sale of the British 3G Telecom Licenses," Economics Papers 2002-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Klemperer, Paul, 2003.
"Using and Abusing Economic Theory,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3813, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Klemperer, 2000.
"Why Every Economist Should Learn Some Auction Theory,"
- Klemperer, Paul, 2000. "Why every Economist should Learn some Auction Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 2572, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Klemperer, 2000. "Why Every Economist Should Learn some Auction Theory," Economics Series Working Papers 2000-W25, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Veronika Grimm & Frank Riedel & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2001.
"The Third Generation (UMTS) Spectrum Auction in Germany,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
584, CESifo Group Munich.
- Grimm, Veronika & Riedel, Frank & Wolfstetter, Elmar, 2001. "The third generation (UMTS) spectrum auction in Germany," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2001,70, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3605. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.