Towards an understanding of tradeoffs between regional wealth, tightness of a common environmental constraint and the sharing rules
Consider a country with two regions that have developed differently so that their current levels of energy efficiency differ. Each region's production involves the emission of pollutants, on which a regulator might impose restrictions. The restrictions can be related to pollution standards that the regulator perceives as binding the whole country (e.g., enforced by international agreements like the Kyoto Protocol). We observe that the pollution standards define a common constraint upon the joint strategy space of the regions. We propose a game theoretic model with a coupled constraints equilibrium as a solution to the regulator's problem of avoiding excessive pollution. The regulator can direct the regions to implement the solution by using a political pressure, or compel them to employ it by using the coupled constraints' Lagrange multipliers as taxation coefficients. We specify a stylised model that possesses those characteristics, of the Belgian regions of Flanders and Wallonia. We analytically and numerically analyse the equilibrium regional production levels as a function of the pollution standards and of the sharing rules for the satisfaction of the constraint. For the computational results, we use NIRA, which is a piece of software designed to min-maximise the associated Nikaido-Isoda function.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)|
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacek B. Krawczyk & Mabel Tidball, 2009. "How to use Rosen's normalised equilibrium to enforce a socially desirable Pareto efficient solution," Working Papers 09-20, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2011.
- Steffan Berridge & Jacek Krawczyk, .
"Relaxation Algorithms in Finding Nash Equilibrium,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1997
159, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jacek Krawczyk, 2007. "Numerical solutions to coupled-constraint (or generalised Nash) equilibrium problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 183-204, April.
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- Contreras, Javier & Krawczyk, Jacek & Zuccollo, James, 2008. "The invisible polluter: Can regulators save consumer surplus?," MPRA Paper 9890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krawczyk, Jacek & Zuccollo, James, 2006. "NIRA-3: An improved MATLAB package for finding Nash equilibria in infinite games," MPRA Paper 1119, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & GERMAIN, Marc, .
"The burden sharing of pollution abatement costs in multi-regional open economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
2114, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine Raouf & Germain Marc, 2009. "The Burden Sharing of Pollution Abatement Costs in Multi-Regional Open Economies," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-34, June.
- Krawczyk, Jacek B., 2005. "Coupled constraint Nash equilibria in environmental games," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 157-181, June.
- Laurent Drouet & Alain Haurie & Francesco Moresino & Jean-Philippe Vial & Marc Vielle & Laurent Viguier, 2008. "An oracle based method to compute a coupled equilibrium in a model of international climate policy," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 119-140, February.
- Jong-Shi Pang & Masao Fukushima, 2005. "Quasi-variational inequalities, generalized Nash equilibria, and multi-leader-follower games," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 21-56, 01.
- Marc Germain & Philippe Monfort & Thierry Bréchet, 2006. "Allocation des efforts de dépollution dans des économies avec spécialisation internationale," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(2), pages 219-239.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cor:louvco:2008055. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.