Short Note on the Unemployment Rate of the French Overseas Regions
This article analyzes the hysteresis hypothesis in the unemployment rates of the four “French overseas regions” (Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyana, Reunion) [FORs] over the period 1993-2008. We use standard univariate and panel unit root tests, among them Choi(2006) and Lopez (2009) that account for cross-sectional dependence and have improved performance when the number of countries and the time dimension of the data are limited. Our results cannot reject the null hypothesis of a unit root and so find evidence supporting hysteresis in the unemployment rates for the FORs.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cincinnati, OH 45221-0371|
Phone: (513) 556-2670
Fax: (513) 556-2669
Web page: http://www.business.uc.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Lopez, 2005.
"A Panel Unit Root Test with Good Power in Small Samples,"
University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series
2005-01, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics, revised 2007.
- Claude Lopez, 2009. "A Panel Unit Root Test with Good Power in Small Samples," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(4), pages 295-313.
- Claude Lopez, 2003. "An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2003-06, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Claude Lopez, 2003. "An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending," Econometrics 0310006, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 2003.
- Claude Lopez, 2003. "An Improved Panel Unit Root Test Using GLS-Detrending," Econometrics 0310003, EconWPA.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluís Carrion-i-Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2006.
"Testing for Hysteresis in Unemployment in OECD Countries: New Evidence using Stationarity Panel Tests with Breaks,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 68(2), pages 167-182, 04.
- Mariam Camarero & Josep Lluis Carrion Silvestre & Cecilio Tamarit, 2004. "Testing for hysteresis in unemployment in OECD countries. New evidence using stationarity panel tests with breaks," Working Papers in Economics 119, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Song, Frank M. & Wu, Yangru, 1998. "Hysteresis in unemployment: Evidence from OECD countries," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 181-192.
- Roed, Knut, 1996. "Unemployment Hysteresis--Macro Evidence from 16 OECD Countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 589-600.
- Gomes, Fábio Augusto Reis & da Silva, Cleomar Gomes, 2009. "Hysteresis versus NAIRU and convergence versus divergence: The behavior of regional unemployment rates in Brazil," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 308-322, May.
- Roed, Knut, 1997. " Hysteresis in Unemployment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(4), pages 389-418, December.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miguel A. León-Ledesma, 2000. "Unemployment Hysteresis in the US and the EU: a Panel Data Approach," Studies in Economics 0006, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- W.D. Mccausland & I. Theodossiou & I. Theodossiou, 2004. "Training and hysteresis effects on the wage inflation-unemployment relationship," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 27(1), pages 67-86, October.
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Lawrence H. Summers, 1986.
"Hysteresis and the European Unemployment Problem,"
427, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Papell, David H & Theodoridis, Hristos, 2001. "The Choice of Numeraire Currency in Panel Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(3), pages 790-803, August.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Tsangyao Chang & Ming Jing Yang & Hui-Chin Liao & Chia-Hao Lee, 2007. "Hysteresis in unemployment: empirical evidence from Taiwan's region data based on panel unit root tests," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(10), pages 1335-1340.
- Thomas J. Cunningham, 1994. "Review essay on Structural Slumps: the Modern Equilibrium Theory of Unemployment, Interest, and Assets by Edmund S. Phelps, 1994," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Nov, pages 30-33.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cin:ucecwp:2009-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sourushe Zandvakili)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.