Risk Spillovers in Oil-Related CDS, Stock and Credit Markets
This paper examines risk transmission and migration among six US measures of credit and market risk during the full period 2004-2011 period and the 2009-2011 recovery subperiod, with a focus on four sectors related to the highly volatile oil price. There are more long-run equilibrium risk relationships and short-run causal relationships among the four oil-related Credit Default Swaps (CDS) indexes, the (expected equity volatility) VIX index and the (swaption expected volatility) SMOVE index for the full period than for the recovery subperiod. The auto sector CDS spread is the most error-correcting in the long run and also leads in the risk discovery process in the short run. On the other hand, the CDS spread of the highly regulated, natural monopoly utility sector does not error correct. The four oil-related CDS spread indexes are responsive to VIX in the short- and long-run, while no index is sensitive to SMOVE which, in turn, unilaterally assembles risk migration from VIX. The 2007-2008 Great Recession seems to have led to “localization” and less migration of credit and market risk in the oil-related sectors.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand|
Phone: 64 3 369 3123 (Administrator)
Fax: 64 3 364 2635
Web page: http://www.econ.canterbury.ac.nz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus H. Miller & Paul Weller & Lei Zhang, 2002.
"Moral Hazard and the US Stockmarket: Analyzing the "Greenspan Put","
Working Paper Series
WP02-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Marcus Miller & Paul Weller & Lei Zhang, 2002. "Moral Hazard and the US Stock Market: Analysing the "Greenspan Put"," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages C171-C186, March.
- Marcelo Fernandes & Marcelo Cunha Medeiros & MArcelo Scharth, 2007.
"Modeling and predicting the CBOE market volatility index,"
Textos para discussão
548, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Scharth, Marcel, 2014. "Modeling and predicting the CBOE market volatility index," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 1-10.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Medeiros, Marcelo C. & Scharth, Marcel, 2013. "Modeling and predicting the CBOE market volatility index," Textos para discussão 342, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-97, August.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2004.
"Monetary policy actions and the incentive to invest,"
Supervisory Policy Analysis Working Papers
2004-03, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- William R. Emmons & Frank A. Schmid, 2004. "Monetary policy actions and the incentive to invest," Working Papers 2004-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Benjamin Yibin Zhang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009.
"Explaining Credit Default Swap Spreads with the Equity Volatility and Jump Risks of Individual Firms,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(12), pages 5099-5131, December.
- Benjamin Y. Zhang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2005. "Explaining credit default swap spreads with the equity volatility and jump risks of individual firms," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-63, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ralf Becker & Adam Clements & Andrew McClelland, 2008.
"The Jump component of S&P 500 volatility and the VIX index,"
NCER Working Paper Series
24, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Becker, Ralf & Clements, Adam E. & McClelland, Andrew, 2009. "The jump component of S&P 500 volatility and the VIX index," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1033-1038, June.
- Ericsson, Jan & Jacobs, Kris & Oviedo-Helfenberger, Rodolfo, 2004.
"The Determinants of Credit Default Swap Premia,"
SIFR Research Report Series
32, Institute for Financial Research.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Forte, Santiago & Peña, Juan Ignacio, 2009. "Credit spreads: An empirical analysis on the informational content of stocks, bonds, and CDS," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2013-2025, November.
- Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 1992.
"On Weak Exogeneity in Error Correction Models,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(2), pages 187-207, May.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2005.
"Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit Default Swap Market,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2213-2253, October.
- Francis A. Longstaff & Sanjay Mithal & Eric Neis, 2004. "Corporate Yield Spreads: Default Risk or Liquidity? New Evidence from the Credit-Default Swap Market," NBER Working Papers 10418, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fathi Abid & Nader Naifar, 2006. "Credit-default swap rates and equity volatility: a nonlinear relationship," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(4), pages 348-371, August.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Working Papers 1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Haibin Zhu, 2006. "An Empirical Comparison of Credit Spreads between the Bond Market and the Credit Default Swap Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 29(3), pages 211-235, June.
- Sridhar Gogineni, 2010. "Oil and the Stock Market: An Industry Level Analysis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 995-1010, November.
- Peña Sánchez de Rivera, Juan Ignacio & Forte, Santiago, 2006. "Credit spreads: theory and evidence about the information content of stocks, bonds and cdss," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb063310, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1999. "Modeling Term Structures of Defaultable Bonds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(4), pages 687-720.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Kucuk, Ugur N., 2010. "Non-default Component of Sovereign Emerging Market Yield Spreads and its Determinants: Evidence from Credit Default Swap Market," MPRA Paper 27428, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, December.
- Acharya, Viral V & Johnson, Tim, 2005.
"Insider Trading in Credit Derivatives,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5180, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of the Dynamic Relation between Investment-Grade Bonds and Credit Default Swaps," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2255-2281, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbt:econwp:11/17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Albert Yee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.