Sources of Increasing Returns and Regional Innovation in the UK
This empirical paper investigates the impact of different sources of increasing returns on firm innovative behaviour in different regions of the uk. Of the different sources of increasing returns, the impact of intermediation and the emergence of specialised markets on the probability of innovation is of particular interest to this analysis. The existing literature on regional development in the uk strongly suggests that the south east has many features that may characterise an economy growing with a greater division of labour. These are less evident in the industrial heartland region of northern england. Other influences on innovation such as the impact of regional public r&d and dynamic economies to scale due to learning within a firm are also considered.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P A Wood & J Bryson & D Keeble, 1993. "Regional Patterns of Small Firm Development in the Business Services: Evidence from the United Kingdom," Environment and Planning A, SAGE Publishing, vol. 25(5), pages 677-700, May.
- Bryson, John R & Keeble, David & Wood, Peter, 1997. "The Creation and Growth of Small Business Service Firms in Post-industrial Britain," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 345-60, August.
- Suma Athreye & David Keeble, 2001. "Specialised Markets and the Behaviour of Firms: Evidence from the UK's Regional Economies," Open Discussion Papers in Economics 33, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- P.N. O'Farrell & D.M. Hitchens & L.A.R. Moffat, 1993. "The Competitiveness of Business Services and Regional Development: Evidence from Scotland and the South East of England," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 30(10), pages 1629-1652, December.
- P A Wood & J Bryson & D Keeble, 1993. "Regional patterns of small firm development in the business services: evidence from the United Kingdom," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 25(5), pages 677-700, May.
- Suma Athreye, 1997. "On Markets in Knowledge," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 1(2), pages 231-253, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- Vivarelli, Marco & Evangelista, Rinaldo & Pianta, Mario, 1996. "Innovation and employment in Italian manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(7), pages 1013-1026, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.