Uma Nota sobre Erros de Previsão da Inflação de Curto Prazo
This note shows that the unbiasedness and the weak rationality hypotheses are not rejected for the inflation forecasts surveyed by the Central Bank when the forecast horizon is one month. However, as in other countries, a clear pattern of auto-correlation of forecast errors is found. Furthermore, increases (decreases) in inflation are systematically associated with underestimations (overestimations) of inflation in the following month. This is true for both, the full sample of forecasters and the sample that is restricted to the 5 institutions with best forecasting performance, suggesting that models in which past realizations of inflation have greater weight in the formation of average expectations are more accurate than the assumption of rational expectations. Models aimed at explaining how expectations are formed should be able to explain these stylized facts as well as the hysteresis of forecasts.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kohlscheen, Emanuel, 2012.
"Uma nota sobre erros de previsão da inflação de curto‐prazo,"
Revista Brasileira de Economia,
FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 66(3), September.
- Emanuel Kohlscheen, 2010. "Uma Nota sobre Erros de Previsão da Inflação de Curto Prazo," Working Papers Series 227, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Martin Evans & Paul Wachtel, 1993. "Inflation regimes and the sources of inflation uncertainty," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 475-520.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steffen Henzel, 2008. "Learning Trend Inflation – Can Signal Extraction Explain Survey Forecasts?," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 55, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Augusto Marc Rocha Reis & Justin Wolfers, 2004.
"Disagreement about Inflation Expectations,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm391, Yale School of Management.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis & Justin Wolfers, 2003. "Disagreement about Inflation Expectations," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2011, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Ricardo Reis & Justin Wolfers, 2003. "Disagreement about Inflation Expectations," NBER Working Papers 9796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Reis, Ricardo & Wolfers, Justin, 2003. "Disagreement about Inflation Expectations," Research Papers 1807, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1985.
"Forecasting Efficiency: Concepts and Applications,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
774, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Cumby, Robert E & Huizinga, John, 1992.
"Testing the Autocorrelation Structure of Disturbances in Ordinary Least Squares and Instrumental Variables Regressions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 185-195, January.
- Robert E. Cumby & John Huizinga, 1990. "Testing The Autocorrelation Structure of Disturbances in Ordinary Least Squares and Instrumental Variables Regressions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcb:wpaper:227. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.