The Effect of Market Power on Risk-Sharing
The paper studies an oligopolistic equilibrium model of financial agents who aim to share their random endowments. The risk-sharing securities and their prices are endogenously determined as the outcome of a strategic game played among all the participating agents. In the complete-market setting, each agent's set of strategic choices consists of the security payoffs and the pricing kernel that are consistent with the optimal-sharing rules; while in the incomplete setting, agents respond via demand functions on a vector of given tradeable securities. It is shown that at the (Nash) risk-sharing equilibrium, the sharing securities are suboptimal, since agents submit for sharing different risk exposures than their true endowments. On the other hand, the Nash equilibrium prices stay unaffected by the game only in the special case of agents with the same risk aversion. In addition, agents with sufficiently lower risk aversion act as predatory traders, since they absorb utility surplus from the high risk averse agents and reduce the efficiency of sharing. The main results of the paper also hold under the generalized models that allow the presence of noise traders and heterogeneity in agents' beliefs.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damir Filipović & Michael Kupper, 2008. "Equilibrium Prices For Monetary Utility Functions," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 11(03), pages 325-343.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Zitkovic, 2008. "On Agents' Agreement and Partial-Equilibrium Pricing in Incomplete Markets," Papers 0803.2198, arXiv.org.
- Mingxin Xu, 2004.
"Risk Measure Pricing and Hedging in Incomplete Markets,"
0406004, EconWPA, revised 06 Apr 2005.
- Mingxin Xu, 2006. "Risk measure pricing and hedging in incomplete markets," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 51-71, January.
- Garance Genicot & Debraj Ray, 2003. "Group Formation in Risk-Sharing Arrangements," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 87-113.
- Ulrich Horst & Santiago Moreno-Bromberg, 2011.
"Efficiency and Equilibria in Games of Optimal Derivative Design,"
- Ulrich Horst & Santiago Moreno-Bromberg, 2010. "Efficiency and Equilibria in Games of Optimal Derivative Design," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-035, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Elyès Jouini & Walter Schachermayer & Nizar Touzi, 2007.
"Optimal Risk Sharing for Law Invariant Monetary Utility Functions,"
- E. Jouini & W. Schachermayer & N. Touzi, 2008. "Optimal Risk Sharing For Law Invariant Monetary Utility Functions," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(2), pages 269-292.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Žitković, 2010. "Partial equilibria with convex capital requirements: existence, uniqueness and stability," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Pauline Barrieu & Nicole El Karoui, 2005. "Inf-convolution of risk measures and optimal risk transfer," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 269-298, 04.
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Elyès Jouini & Semyon Malamud & Clotilde Napp, 2011.
"Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 285-321.
- Jaksa Cvitanic & Elyès Jouini & Semyon Malamud & Clotilde Napp, 2012. "Financial Markets Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Agents," Post-Print halshs-00488537, HAL.
- Ulrich Horst & Traian A. Pirvu & GonÃ§alo Dos Reis, 2010. "On Securitization, Market Completion and Equilibrium Risk Transfer," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2010-010, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/361 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tessa Bold, 2009. "Implications of Endogenous Group Formation for Efficient Risk-Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(536), pages 562-591, 03.
- Zhao, Rui R., 2007. "Dynamic risk-sharing with two-sided moral hazard," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 601-640, September.
- Damir Filipović & Gregor Svindland, 2008. "Optimal capital and risk allocations for law- and cash-invariant convex functions," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 423-439, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:1206.0384. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.