A Tobit Analysis of WIC Children's Consumption of Pyramid Group Foods
This paper develops and estimates an econometric model for children's consumption of the Pyramid Group foods using the Continuing Survey of Food Intake by Individuals (CSFII) for the years 1994-96, 1998. This analysis is accomplished using a Tobit model (censored dependent variable) and by appropriately incorporating the survey design characteristics. Results of the regression analysis indicate that participation in the WIC program significantly affects the consumption patterns of children, for certain types of Pyramid Group foods. After controlling for other factors, WIC children consumed more milk, fruit and whole grain and less of added sugar than the group of eligible nonparticipating children.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarque, Carlos M., 1987. "An application of LDV models to household expenditure analysis in Mexico," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 31-53.
- Fair, Ray C, 1978.
"A Theory of Extramarital Affairs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1991.
"Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures,"
1991-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, Bertrand & van Soest, Arthur, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vacation Expenditures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 59-76, Jan.-Feb..
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996. "Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures," Other publications TiSEM 14de3e83-71c1-4e9a-aa5e-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Melenberg, B. & Van Soest, A., 1991. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vocation Expenditures," Papers 9144, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Witte, Ann Dryden, 1980. "Estimating the Economic Model of Crime with Individual Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 57-84, February.
- William J Carrington & John L Eltinge & Kristin McCue, 2000. "An Economist's Primer on Survey Samples," Working Papers 00-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fair, Ray C, 1977.
"A Note on the Computation of the Tobit Estimator,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1723-27, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:19998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.