A Tobit Analysis of WIC Children's Consumption of Pyramid Group Foods
This paper develops and estimates an econometric model for children's consumption of the Pyramid Group foods using the Continuing Survey of Food Intake by Individuals (CSFII) for the years 1994-96, 1998. This analysis is accomplished using a Tobit model (censored dependent variable) and by appropriately incorporating the survey design characteristics. Results of the regression analysis indicate that participation in the WIC program significantly affects the consumption patterns of children, for certain types of Pyramid Group foods. After controlling for other factors, WIC children consumed more milk, fruit and whole grain and less of added sugar than the group of eligible nonparticipating children.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Melenberg, B. & Van Soest, A., 1991.
"Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vocation Expenditures,"
9144, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, Bertrand & van Soest, Arthur, 1996. "Parametric and Semi-parametric Modelling of Vacation Expenditures," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 59-76, Jan.-Feb..
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1991. "Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures," Discussion Paper 1991-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Melenberg, B. & van Soest, A.H.O., 1996. "Parametric and semi-parametric modelling of vacation expenditures," Other publications TiSEM 14de3e83-71c1-4e9a-aa5e-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ray C. Fair, 1976.
"A Note on the Computation of the Tobit Estimator,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
434, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jarque, Carlos M., 1987. "An application of LDV models to household expenditure analysis in Mexico," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 31-53.
- William J Carrington & John L Eltinge & Kristin McCue, 2000. "An Economist's Primer on Survey Samples," Working Papers 00-15, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Fair, Ray C, 1978.
"A Theory of Extramarital Affairs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(1), pages 45-61, February.
- Ann Dryden Witte, 1980. "Estimating the Economic Model of Crime With Individual Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(1), pages 57-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:19998. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.