International Outsourcing of Research and the Dynamics of Research Work in Austria
Austrian businesses have been increasing their overall external and foreign re-search and development efforts in recent years. However, in-house R&D expenses continue to make up the bulk of innovation expenditures. Growing internationali-sation appears not to have had a substitution effect on Austrian innovative ca-pacities, since R&D staff numbers have been growing as well. The scope of pur-chased foreign research varies between industries in accordance with industry characteristics, such as the degree of internationalisation and so-called sectoral innovation systems. Such variations in the development of R&D personnel, on the other hand, reflect changes in the Austrian industry structure. In spite of evidence to the contrary, the possible loss of competitive advantages in R&D would consti-tute a long-term drawback in the competition for locations, which is enormously arduous and tricky to overcome. Austria has to improve its innovative capabilities in order to avoid this hazard, i.a. by investing in education or a stronger involve-ment in international innovation systems, which should further facilitate technology transfers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 79 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Arsenal Object 20, A-1030 Wien|
Phone: (+43 1) 798 26 01-0
Fax: (+43 1) 798 93 86
Web page: http://www.wifo.ac.at/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Austrian Institute of Economic Research Publikationsverkauf und Abonnentenbetreuung Arsenal, Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna/Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fors, Gunnar, 1996. "Utilization of R&D Results in the Home and Foreign Plants of Multinationals," Working Paper Series 459, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-596, September.
- Braconier, Henrik & Ekholm, Karolina & Ulltveit-Moe, Karen-Helene, 2000.
"Does FDI Work as a Channel for R&D Spillovers? Evidence Based on Swedish Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2469, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Braconier, Henrik & Ekholm, Karolina & Midelfart Knarvik, Karen Helene, 2001. "Does FDI Work as a Channel for R&D Spillovers? Evidence Based on Swedish Data," Working Paper Series 553, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Rajneesh Narula, 1999.
"Explaining the Growth of Strategic R&D Allainces by European Firms,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 711-723, December.
- Narula,Rajneesh, 1998. "Explaining the growth of strategic R&D alliances by European firms," Research Memorandum 024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:553 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:459 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paola Criscuolo & Rajneesh Narula & Bart Verspagen, 2005. "Role of home and host country innovation systems in r&d internationalisation: a patent citation analysis," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 417-433.
- John H Dunning, 1995. "Reappraising the Eclectic Paradigm in an Age of Alliance Capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(3), pages 461-491, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wfo:monber:y:2006:i:1:p:41-51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilse Schulz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.