Emil Lederer and the Schumpeter-Hilferding-Tugan-Baranowsky Nexus
This paper focuses on the thinking of Emil Lederer, one of the leading academic socialists of Germany in the 1920s. Lederer's views on economic development, technical change, credit and business cycles are compared to those of Schumpeter. The paper traces the roots of some of their ideas back to the work of two prominent Marxists, Rudolf Hilferding and Mikhail Ivanovich Tugan-Baranowsky. The paper concludes that although Lederer and Schumpeter are traditionally classified in different schools of thought, their theoretical views on many issues converge.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allgoewer, Elisabeth, 2003. "Emil Lederer: Business Cycles, Crises, and Growth," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 327-348, September.
- Darity, William A, Jr & Horn, Bobbie L, 1985. "Rudolf Hilferding: The Dominion of Capitalism and the Dominion of Gold," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 363-368, May.
- Michaelides, Panayotis G. & Milios, John G., 2005. "The Influence of the German Historical School on Schumpeter," MPRA Paper 74471, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Screpanti, Ernesto & Zamagni, Stefano, 2005.
"An Outline of the History of Economic Thought,"
Oxford University Press,
edition 2, number 9780199279142, April.
- Screpanti, Ernesto & Zamagni, Stefano, 1995. "An Outline of the History of Economic Thought," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774556, April.
- Daniele Besomi, 2006. "'Marxism Gone Mad': Tugan-Baranovsky on crises, their possibility and their periodicity," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 147-171.
- Colacchio, Giorgio, 2005. "On the origins of non-proportional economic dynamics: A note on Tugan-Baranowsky's traverse analysis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 503-521, December.
- Gottfried Haberler, 1950. "Joseph Alois Schumpeter 1883–1950," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(3), pages 333-372. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:23:y:2011:i:3:p:439-460. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.