Sraffa's early contribution to competitive price theory
In this paper, Sraffa's 1925 contribution to competitive price theory is reconsidered. It is argued that Sraffa's 1925 framework of analysis is a 'general' equilibrium model of the supply side of the economy with many Ricardian features. It is suggested that Samuelson's 1959 Ricardian model and 1971 Marshallian specific-factors model may help re-analyse Sraffa's 1925 work along the lines outlined above. It is also contended that the elements of continuity between Sraffa's early work and Production of Commodities are more pronounced than commonly believed.
Volume (Year): 8 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJH20 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJH20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maneschi, Andrea, 1986. "A Comparative Evaluation of Sraffa's 'The Laws of Returns under Competitive Conditions' and Its Italian Precursor," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(1), pages 1-12, March.
- Vives, Xavier, 1987. "Small Income Effects: A Marshallian Theory of Consumer Surplus and Downward Sloping Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 87-103, January.
- Mongiovi, Gary, 1996. "Sraffa's Critique of Marshall: A Reassessment," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(2), pages 207-24, March.
- Samuelson, Paul A., 1975. "Trade pattern reversals in time-phased Ricardian systems and intertemporal efficiency," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 309-363, November.
- Chipman, John S, 1970. "External Economies of Scale and Competitive Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 347-85, August.
- Steedman, Ian, 1988. "Sraffian Interdependence and Partial Equilibrium Analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 85-95, March.
- Garegnani, Pierangelo, 1984. "Value and Distribution in the Classical Economists and Marx," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(2), pages 291-325, June.
- Panico, Carlo, 1991. "Some Notes on Marshallian Supply Functions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 557-69, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eujhet:v:8:y:2001:i:3:p:363-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.