Yaari's dual theory without the completeness axiom
This note shows how Yaari (1987)'s dual theory of choice under risk naturally extends to the case of incomplete preferences. This also provides an axiomatic characterization of a large and widely studied class of stochastic orders used to rank the riskiness of random variables or the dispersion of income distributions (including, e.g., second order stochastic dominance, dispersion, location independent riskiness, see Chateauneuf, Cohen, and Meilijson, 1997). Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin/Heidelberg 2004
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian Jewitt, 1989. "Choosing Between Risky Prospects: The Characterization of Comparative Statics Results, and Location Independent Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(1), pages 60-70, January.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maacheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2001.
"Expected Utility Theory without the Completeness Axiom,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1294, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dubra, Juan & Maccheroni, Fabio & Ok, Efe A., 2004. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 118-133, March.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe Oki, 2001. "Expected utility theory without the completeness axiom," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 11-2001, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1972. "Continuity properties of a von Neumann-Morgenstern utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 45-57, February.
- Chateauneuf, A. & Cohen, M. & Meilijson, I., 1997. "New Tools to Better Model Behavior Under Risk and UNcertainty: An Oevrview," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 97.55, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Mandler, Michael, 2005. "Incomplete preferences and rational intransitivity of choice," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 255-277, February.
- Lloyd S. Shapley & Manel Baucells, 1998.
UCLA Economics Working Papers
779, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Manel Baucells & Lloyd S. Shapley, 2000. "Multiperson Utility," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0078, Econometric Society.
- Schmeidler, David, 1989.
"Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity,"
Econometric Society, vol. 57(3), pages 571-587, May.
- David Schmeidler, 1989. "Subjective Probability and Expected Utility without Additivity," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7662, David K. Levine.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:23:y:2004:i:3:p:701-714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.