Modeling Stock Market Indexes With Copula Functions
Contemporary financial risk management is significantly based on the analysis of time series of returns. One of the most significant errors frequently committed by analysts is the predominant use of normal distributions when it is clear that the returns are not normal. Copula models and models for non-normal multivariate distributions provide new tools to solve the problem because the obtained results are immediately applicable in portfolio management, option pricing and measuring risk without assuming normality. Therefore, both a theoretician and a practitioner are interested in multivariate models for returns and copula functions. The copula function models provide an effective and interesting technique of constructing multivariate distribution starting from marginal ones. Due to Sklar's result established in 1959, we can present any multivariate distribution with a help of corresponding marginal distributions and a selected copula function. In this work we present an application of copula function to construct multivariate conditional distributions of times series. In the last part of this paper dynamic models such as DCC-MVGARCH and conditional copula are analyzed. Moreover, we also present an application of bootstrap in the context of copula function. This work is appended by examples showing practical application of our work.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ibaf.edu.pl/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001.
"Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- John Davis, 2005. "Introduction," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 361-361.
- Rob van den Goorbergh, 2004. "A Copula-Based Autoregressive Conditional Dependence Model of International Stock Markets," DNB Working Papers 022, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rze:efinan:v:7:y:2011:i:2:p:1-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pawel Bochenek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.