Doha negotiations on agriculture and future of the WTO multilateral Trade System
The WTO Doha Round of trade negotiations was launched in 2001 and after twelve years of negotiations members seem unable to bring it to a successful conclusion. The agreement on an "early harvest" of deliverables at the 9th WTO Ministerial Conference in Bali in December 2013 may give some renewed momentum, but the prospects for success appear uncertain. This paper describes the stage that the negotiations have reached in agriculture and summarises the most recent draft modalities for agricultural trade liberalisation. It surveys recent estimates of the value of what is currently on the table. It discusses the reasons for the current impasse in the negotiations and asks whether agricultural trade liberalisation would be better served by abandoning the Doha Round. The paper argues that this would not be the case, and concludes by speculating on the minimum conditions necessary to ensure a conclusion to the Round.
Volume (Year): (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114743
Fax: +39 06 57114774
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/associazioni/rossidoria/qa.asp
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Will Martin & Aaditya Mattoo, 2010.
"The Doha Development Agenda: What's on the table?,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 81-107.
- Martin, Will & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2008. "The Doha development agenda : what's on the table?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4672, The World Bank.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2006.
"Failure of the WTO Ministerial Conference at Cancun: Reasons and Remedies,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(6), pages 677-696, 06.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2004. "Failure of the WTO Ministerial Conference at Cancun: Reasons and Remedies," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d04-53, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Laborde, David & Martin, Will & Van Der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2012.
"Implications of the Doha market access proposals for developing countries,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 1-25, January.
- Laborde, David & Martin, Will & van der Mensbrugghe, Dominique, 2011. "Implications of the Doha market access proposals for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5679, The World Bank.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Martin, Will & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2010.
"Conclude Doha: It Matters!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7788, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard Hoekman, 2013. "Re-Thinking Economic Development in the WTO," RSCAS Working Papers PP2013/09, European University Institute.
- Robert Wolfe, 2009. "The WTO Single Undertaking as Negotiating Technique and Constitutive Metaphor," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 835-858, December.
- Alan Matthews, 2012.
"The Impact of WTO Agricultural Trade Rules on Food Security and Development: An Examination of Proposed Additional Flexibilities for Developing Countries,"
in: Research Handbook on the WTO Agriculture Agreement, chapter 4
- Will Martin & Patrick Messerlin, 2007. "Why is it so difficult? Trade liberalization under the Doha Agenda," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 347-366, Autumn.
- BOUET, ANTOINE & Laborde, David, 2010.
"Assessing the potential cost of a failed Doha Round,"
World Trade Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 319-351, April.
- Antoine Bouet, 2010. "Assessing the potential cost of a failed Doha round," Working Papers hal-00637583, HAL.
- Sebastian Hess & Stephan von Cramon-Taubadel, 2008. "A Meta-Analysis of General and Partial Equilibrium Simulations of Trade Liberalisation under the Doha Development Agenda," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 804-840, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rar:journl:0276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.