The Quasi-Judicial Role of Large Retailers : An Efficiency Hypothesis of their Relation with Suppliers
[fre] Le papier explore l'hypothèse que les grands distributeurs, comme Wal Mart et Carrefour, jouent un rôle quasi-judiciaire dans leurs relations avec leurs fournisseurs, en adaptant les termes de leurs échanges aux changements qui surviennent et en sanctionnant les défaillances. Les abus potentiels de cette position sont limités par le besoin qu 'ont les distributeurs de re-contracter et de préserver leurs réputations. Les fournisseurs renouvellent leur confiance dans leurs distributeurs sur une base annuelle en rédigeant de nouveaux contrats. Ce renouvellement des contrats contredit l'hypothèse que les fournisseurs sont expropriés par les grands distributeurs en raison de l'existence d'investissements spécifiques. [eng] The paper explores the hypothesis that large retailers, such as Wal-Mart and Carrefour, play a quasi-judicial role in their relationships with suppliers, adjusting the terms of trade to on-going changes and sanctioning performance failures. Potential abuse of their position is limited by the need for re-contracting and preserving their reputations. Suppliers renew their confidence in their retailers on a yearly basis, through writing new contracts. This renovation challenges the assertion that suppliers are expropriated by large retailers as a consequence of specific investments.
Volume (Year): 92 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/rei|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kandel, Eugene, 1996. "The Right to Return," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 329-56, April.
- Benito Arruñada & Luis Garicano & Luis Vázquez, 1999.
"Contractual allocation of decision rights and incentives: The case of automobile distribution,"
Economics Working Papers
424, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Arrunada, Benito & Garicano, Luis & Vazquez, Luis, 2001. "Contractual Allocation of Decision Rights and Incentives: The Case of Automobile Distribution," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 257-84, April.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1996. "Why Hold-Ups Occur: The Self-Enforcing Range of Contractual Relationships," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(3), pages 444-63, July.
- Masten, Scott E & Snyder, Edward A, 1993. "United States versus United Shoe Machinery Corporation: On the Merits," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(1), pages 33-70, April.
- Rubin, Paul H, 1978. "The Theory of the Firm and the Structure of the Franchise Contract," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 223-33, April.
- Carl Shapiro, 1983. "Premiums for High Quality Products as Returns to Reputations," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(4), pages 659-679.
- Klein, Benjamin & Murphy, Kevin M, 1997. "Vertical Integration as a Self-Enforcing Contractual Arrangement," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 415-20, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:recind:rei_0154-3229_2000_num_92_1_1052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.