Least Squares Predictions and Mean-Variance Analysis
We compare the Sharpe ratios of traders who combine one riskless and one risky asset following (i) buy and hold strategies; (ii) timing strategies with forecasts from simple; or (iii) multiple regressions; and (iv) passive allocations of (i) and (ii) with mean-variance optimizers. We show that (iv) implicitly uses the linear forecasting rule that maximizes the Sharpe ratio of managed portfolios, but the remaining rankings are unclear. We also suggest generalized method of moments (GMM) estimators to make (iv) operational and evaluate their significance with spanning tests. Finally, we characterize the equivalence between (iii) and (iv), and propose moment tests to assess it. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 1990. "Direct and Indirect Sale of Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 901-28, July.
- Arellano, Manuel, 1989. "On the efficient estimation of simultaneous equations with covariance restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 247-265, October.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Richard, Scott F, 1987. "The Role of Conditioning Information in Deducing Testable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 587-613, May.
- Peter J. Knez & Zhiwu Chen, 1998.
"Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm48, Yale School of Management.
- Chen, Zhiwu & Knez, Peter J, 1996. "Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 511-55.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1908, David K. Levine.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jfinec:v:3:y:2005:i:1:p:56-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.