Who Defaults on their Home Mortgage?
Since Feb. 13, 2010, detailed information on every home mortgage default and foreclosure in New York State must be filed with the New York State Department of Financial Services (DFS). The data come from pre-foreclosure filing (PFF) notices that mortgage servicers must send to both the borrower and the DFS 90 days prior to initiating the foreclosure process and when a foreclosure has commenced. Pairing the PFF data with data on originations from the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) reveals the race and ethnicity of borrowers who defaulted on their home mortgages. HMDA analyses consistently reveal strong racial and ethnic disparities in lending practices. Our analysis shows that the same disparities reappear in the default data (i.e the PFF data), which suggests that lending disparities contributed to the higher default rates that we observe among black and Latino borrowers. Our analysis also suggests that labor market recovery would do the most to reduce the rate of mortgage default.
Volume (Year): 43 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://sites.google.com/site/econnysea/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerardi Kristopher & Willen Paul, 2009.
"Subprime Mortgages, Foreclosures, and Urban Neighborhoods,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(3), pages 1-37, March.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Paul S. Willen, 2008. "Subprime mortgages, foreclosures, and urban neighborhoods," Public Policy Discussion Paper 08-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Paul S. Willen, 2009. "Subprime mortgages, foreclosures, and urban neighborhoods," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2009-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Mark Doms & Frederick T. Furlong & John Krainer, 2007. "Subprime mortgage delinquency rates," Working Paper Series 2007-33, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Doviak, Eric & MacDonald, Sean, 2011. "Who enters the foreclosure process?," MPRA Paper 34276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee C. Adkins, 2009. "An Instrumental Variables Probit Estimator Using Gretl," EHUCHAPS, Universidad del País Vasco - Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Lee C. Adkins, 2008. "Small Sample Performance of Instrumental Variables Probit Estimators: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Economics Working Paper Series 0807, Oklahoma State University, Department of Economics and Legal Studies in Business.
- Elizabeth Laderman, 2001. "Subprime mortgage lending and the capital markets," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue dec28.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nye:nyervw:v:43:y:2012:i:1:p:75-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eryk Wdowiak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.