Technological Catching Up, Quality of Exports, and Competitiveness: A Sectoral Perspective
We analyze the relationship between Central and Eastern European countries (CEEC) industry-level competitiveness and technological catching up induced by economic integration with European Union (EU) economies. A theoretical dynamic setup is developed in which high-skill firms gain market share in "quality dominated" markets, whereas low-skill firms face price competition for their exports. We run econometric estimations for bilateral trade between CEEC and EU economies over 2000-2007. We first test the assumption that the unit value ratio is a good proxy for quality in trade and then use the fitted unit value ratio to estimate the role of preference for quality in CEEC market share changes. Estimations support the results of the theoretical model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2013)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christophe Rault & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009.
"Trade Specialisation And Economic Convergence: Evidence From Two Eastern European Countries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp959, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2011. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from two Eastern European Countries," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_071, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from Two Eastern European Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 875, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Quality and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
3622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin M.Shleifer Murphy & Andrei, 1991. "Quality and Trade," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 66, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Rosario Crinò & Paolo Epifani, 2010.
"Productivity, Quality, and Export Intensities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
824.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2008.
"Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality,"
NBER Working Papers
13807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2011. "Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 417-474.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- Ashoka Mody & Deniz Igan & Stefania Fabrizio, 2007. "The Dynamics of Product Quality and International Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 07/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Smulders, J.A., 2004.
"International capital market integration : Implications for convergence, growth and welfare,"
Other publications TiSEM
f8e8e574-5d17-4d9f-9119-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Sjak Smulders, 2004. "International capital market integration: Implications for convergence, growth, and welfare," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 173-194, January.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Stokey, Nancy L, 1991.
"The Volume and Composition of Trade between Rich and Poor Countries,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1989. "The Volume and Composition of Trade Between Rich and Poor Countries," Discussion Papers 849, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Brooks, Eileen L., 2006. "Why don't firms export more? Product quality and Colombian plants," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 160-178, June.
- Piero Esposito & Robert Stehrer, 2009.
"The sector bias of skill-biased technical change and the rising skill premium in transition economies,"
Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 351-364, August.
- Piero Esposito & Robert Stehrer, 2007. "The Sector Bias of Skill-biased Technical Change and the Rising Skill Premium in Transition Economies," wiiw Working Papers 43, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Juan Carlos Hallak, 2006.
"A Product-Quality View of the Linder Hypothesis,"
NBER Working Papers
12712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1850, The World Bank.
- Miguel LeÃ³n-Ledesma, 2005.
"Exports, Product Differentiation and Knowledge Spillovers,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 363-379, October.
- Miguel Leon-Ledesma, 2002. "Exports, Product Differentiation and Knowledge Spillovers," Studies in Economics 0206, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007.
"Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530, 05.
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eric Verhoogen, 2007. "Trade, quality upgrading and wage inequality in the Mexican manufacturing sector," Discussion Papers 0607-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Eleonora Cavallaro & Marcella Mulino, 2008. "Vertical Innovation and Catching-Up: Implications of EU Integration for CEECs-5," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 14(3), pages 265-279, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2000.
"Quantifying Quality Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
7695, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfgang Keller, 2001.
"International Technology Diffusion,"
NBER Working Papers
8573, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eleonora Cavallaro & Marcella Mulino, 2009. "Technological catching up, competitiveness and growth," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 505-525.
- Michael Landesmann & Sebastian Leitner & Robert Stehrer & Terry Ward, 2009. "Skills and Industrial Competitiveness," wiiw Research Reports 356, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2010.
"The Quality and Variety of Exports from New EU Member States: Evidence from Very Disaggregated Data,"
2010/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2011. "The quality and variety of exports from the new EU member states," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 723-747, October.
- Jørgen Nielsen & Teit Lüthje, 2002. "Tests of the empirical classification of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(4), pages 587-604, December.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer & Julia Woerz, 2005. "Dimensions of quality upgrading," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, 01.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-product Versus Within-product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(2), pages 646-677, May.
- Aiginger, Karl, 1997. "The Use of Unit Values to Discriminate between Price and Quality Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 571-92, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:emfitr:v:49:y:2013:i:6:p:4-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Nguyen to update the entry or send us the correct address
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.