Technological Catching Up, Quality of Exports, and Competitiveness: A Sectoral Perspective
We analyze the relationship between Central and Eastern European countries (CEEC) industry-level competitiveness and technological catching up induced by economic integration with European Union (EU) economies. A theoretical dynamic setup is developed in which high-skill firms gain market share in "quality dominated" markets, whereas low-skill firms face price competition for their exports. We run econometric estimations for bilateral trade between CEEC and EU economies over 2000-2007. We first test the assumption that the unit value ratio is a good proxy for quality in trade and then use the fitted unit value ratio to estimate the role of preference for quality in CEEC market share changes. Estimations support the results of the theoretical model.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 49 (2013)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miguel Leon-Ledesma, 2002.
"Exports, Product Differentiation and Knowledge Spillovers,"
Studies in Economics
0206, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Miguel León-Ledesma, 2005. "Exports, Product Differentiation and Knowledge Spillovers," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 363-379, October.
- Keller, Wolfgang, 2002.
"International Technology Diffusion,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aiginger, Karl, 1997. "The Use of Unit Values to Discriminate between Price and Quality Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 571-92, September.
- Michael Landesmann & Sebastian Leitner & Robert Stehrer & Terry Ward, 2009. "Skills and Industrial Competitiveness," wiiw Research Reports 356, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Jørgen Nielsen & Teit Lüthje, 2002. "Tests of the empirical classification of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(4), pages 587-604, December.
- Ashoka Mody & Deniz O Igan & Stefania Fabrizio, 2007. "The Dynamics of Product Quality and International Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 07/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Carlos Hallak, 2010.
"A Product-Quality View of the Linder Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 453-466, August.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M. & Shleifer, Andrei, 1997.
"Quality and trade,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer, 1991. "Quality and Trade," NBER Working Papers 3622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin M.Shleifer Murphy & Andrei, 1991. "Quality and Trade," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 66, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1991. "The Volume and Composition of Trade Between Rich and Poor Countries," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 63-80.
- Rosario Crinò & Paolo Epifani, 2010.
"Productivity, Quality, and Export Intensities,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
824.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Brooks, Eileen L., 2006. "Why don't firms export more? Product quality and Colombian plants," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 160-178, June.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2001.
"Quantifying Quality Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1006-1030, September.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:14:y:2008:i:3:p:265-279 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe De La Potterie & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Transfer Technology Across Borders?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 490-497, August.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Frank Lichtenberg, 2001. "Does foreign direct investment transfer technology across borders?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/6221, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2011.
"Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 417-474.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2008. "Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality," NBER Working Papers 13807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Eleonora Cavallaro & Marcella Mulino, 2009. "Technological catching up, competitiveness and growth," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(4), pages 505-525.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997.
"Determinants of Intra-Industry Trade between East and West Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1721, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aturupane, Chonira & Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Determinants of intra-industry trade between East and West Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1850, The World Bank.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Christophe Rault & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009.
"Trade Specialisation And Economic Convergence: Evidence From Two Eastern European Countries,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp959, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2009. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from Two Eastern European Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 875, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Christophe Rault & Robert Sova & Anamaria Sova, 2011. "Trade Specialisation and Economic Convergence: Evidence from two Eastern European Countries," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_071, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Piero Esposito & Robert Stehrer, 2007.
"The Sector Bias of Skill-biased Technical Change and the Rising Skill Premium in Transition Economies,"
wiiw Working Papers
43, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Piero Esposito & Robert Stehrer, 2009. "The sector bias of skill-biased technical change and the rising skill premium in transition economies," Empirica, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 351-364, August.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2010.
"The Quality and Variety of Exports from New EU Member States: Evidence from Very Disaggregated Data,"
2010/02, Latvijas Banka.
- Konstantins Benkovskis & Ramune Rimgailaite, 2011. "The quality and variety of exports from the new EU member states," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 19(4), pages 723-747, October.
- Smulders, J.A., 2004.
"International capital market integration : Implications for convergence, growth and welfare,"
Other publications TiSEM
f8e8e574-5d17-4d9f-9119-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Sjak Smulders, 2004. "International capital market integration: Implications for convergence, growth, and welfare," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 173-194, January.
- Eleonora Cavallaro & Marcella Mulino, 2008. "Vertical Innovation and Catching-Up: Implications of EU Integration for CEECs-5," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 14(3), pages 265-279, August.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer & Julia Woerz, 2005. "Dimensions of quality upgrading," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, 01.
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mes:emfitr:v:49:y:2013:i:6:p:4-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.