Foreign Currency Pricing
A special case of dollarization is analyzed: quotation of prices in dollars. The proposed explanation is price stickiness: when price adjustment is costly, firms prefer to fix their prices in a stable foreign currency in order to avoid frequent price changes. The proposed model demonstrates that there are often two Nash equilibria in an economy populated by symmetric firms: an equilibrium with uniform domestic currency pricing and one with uniform dollar pricing. Hence, foreign currency pricing may exhibit hysteresis. The model also demonstrates that the degree of competition in the economy is important in determining the pricing currency.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pablo Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodríguez, 1992.
"Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
81, Universidad del CEMA.
- Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1992. "Dollarization in Latin America: Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(3), pages 518-544, September.
- Pablo Emilio Guidotti & Carlos A. Rodriguez, 1991. "Dollarization in Latin America; Gresham's Law in Reverse?," IMF Working Papers 91/117, International Monetary Fund.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1995.
"The Quantitative Analytics of the Basic Neomonetarist Model,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 1241-77, November.
- Miles S. Kimball & Michael Woodford, 1994. "The quantitative analysis of the basic neomonetarist model," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 1241-1289.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1995. "The Quantitative Analytics of the Basic Neomonetarist Model," NBER Working Papers 5046, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Friberg, Richard, 1998. "In which currency should exporters set their prices?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 59-76, June.
- Rudiger Dornbusch & Alejandro Reynoso, 1989.
"Financial Factors in Economic Development,"
NBER Working Papers
2889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R., 1999.
"The New Open Economy Macroeconomics: a Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcb:jmoncb:v:38:y:2006:i:3:p:679-696. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.