Bank Collapse and Depression
The recurrent banking panics of the 19th century and the Great Depression of the 1930s are widely viewed as failures of our economic system. A simple version of Samuelson’s overlapping generations model is used to generate such failures of Walrasian equilibrium. The spontaneous “panics” generated involve a collapse of bank credit, causing in turn a drop in investment demand. The model suggests that both the recent technological advances in the intermediation industry and the current move towards deregulation of that industry are ominous developments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 13 (1981)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-2879|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryant, John, 1978. "An Annotation of "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria."," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1159-1160, December.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467-467.
- David Cass & Menahem E. Yaari, 1966.
"A Re-examination of the Pure Consumption Loans Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 353-353.
- David Cass & Menahem E. Yaari, 1965. "A Re-Examination of the Pure Consumption Loans Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 195, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bryant, John, 1980. "A model of reserves, bank runs, and deposit insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 335-344, December.
- Bryant, John & Wallace, Neil, 1980. "Open-Market Operations in a Model of Regulated, Insured Intermediaries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 146-173, February.
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr & Rapping, Leonard A, 1972. "Unemployment in the Great Depression: Is There a Full Explanation?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(1), pages 186-191, Jan.-Feb.. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)