A Two-Regime Model of Exports: U.K. Manufactures, 1980–1996
Practically all existing studies of British export performance either model export supply in an ad hoc manner without accounting for any interaction between it and export demand and/or impose a simplifying homogeneity assumption on the firms being modeled. In this article, a new two-regime model, which addresses both issues, is described and applied to U.K. manufactured exports. The results obtained are supportive of the model and are in a number of respects better than those obtained when a more traditional export model is used instead. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
Volume (Year): 12 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/international+economics/journal/11079/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Mayes & Garry Young, 1994. "Improving The Estimates of the UK Capital Stock," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 147(1), pages 84-96, February.
- Landesmann, Michael & Snell, Andrew, 1989.
"The Consequences of Mrs. Thatcher for U.K. Manufacturing Exports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(394), pages 1-27, March.
- Landesmann, M. & Snell, A., 1988. "The Consequences Of Mrs Thatcher For Uk Manufacturing Exports," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 883, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- R. A. Batchelor, 1977. "A Variable-Parameter Model of Exporting Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 43-57.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:147:y::i:1:p:84-96 is not listed on IDEAS
- Breusch, T S, 1978. "Testing for Autocorrelation in Dynamic Linear Models," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(31), pages 334-355, December.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1971. "Price Competitiveness in World Trade," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number krav71-1, June.
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980. "The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., "undated". "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Understanding spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 311-340, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Understanding Spurious Regressions in Econometrics," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 757, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ando, Albert, 1971. "On a Problem of Aggregation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(2), pages 306-311, June.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing against General Autoregressive and Moving Average Error Models When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1293-1301, November.
- Simon Brooks, 1981. "Systematic Econometric Comparisons: Exports of Manufactured Goods," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 97(1), pages 67-80, August.
- Madsen, J., 1991. "Accounting for Supply, Integration and Income in Foreign Trade," Papers 230, Australian National University - Department of Economics. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:12:y:2001:i:1:p:75-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.