Technical Efficiency of the Brazilian Municipalities: Correcting Nonparametric Frontier Measurements for Outliers
In this paper we estimate the DEA technical efficiency for 4796 Brazilian municipalities, by applying a recently proposed “Jackstrap” method, which combines Bootstrap and Jackknife resampling techniques, to reduce the effect of outliers and possible errors in the data set. We perform calculations to identify and eliminate high leverage municipalities, using different variants of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), as well as Free Disposal Hull (FDH). Corroborating previous results, efficiency results for the Brazilian municipalities show a clear relationship between the size of the municipality and its efficiency scores. Indeed, under both DEA variants, smaller cities tend to be less efficient than larger ones hence indicating that the quality of the frontier adjustment improves significantly as the size of the municipality increases. We present arguments that may explain to some extent these findings, such as economies of scale and the excess spending due to revenue from royalties. However, such effects require further, more careful examination. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, Inc. 2005
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurens Cherchye & Timo Kuosmanen & Thierry Post, 2000.
"New Tools for Dealing with Errors-in-Variables in DEA,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0006, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Laurens CHERCHYE & Timo KUOSMANEN & Thierry POST, 2000. "New Tools for Dealing with Errors-in-Variables in DEA," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0006, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- DEPRINS, Dominique & SIMAR, Léopold & TULKENS, Henry, . "Measuring labor-efficiency in post offices," CORE Discussion Papers RP -571, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Vanden Eeckaut, Ph. & Tulkens, H. & Jamar, M-A., 1991. "A Study of Cost-Efficiency and Returns to Scale for 235 Municipalities in Belgium," CORE Discussion Papers 1991058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrew Worthington & Brian Dollery, 2000. "Efficiency Measurement in the Local Public Sector: Econometric and Mathematical Programming Frontier Techniques," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 078, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:24:y:2005:i:2:p:157-181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.