Problems of Romanian SMEs with tapping EU structural funds
Romanian SMEs can directly benefit from the Sectoral Operational Programme “Increase of Economic Competitiveness” (SOP IEC) and some parts of the Regional Operational Programme (ROP) in the 2007–2013 period. There has been wide interest for these subsidies on behalf of SMEs but major problems emerged with the implementation of projects. These are mostly related to the poor preparation of the projects, their cumbersome approval and the unfavourable general economic conditions in the country. The paper relies on information compiled by a survey and several focus groups run with SME in early 2011. These reveal that Romanian SMEs are at a rudimentary stage of skills, organization and market knowledge. Their development aims are rather short-term and not very complex. They lack the knowledge, expertise and staff to participate in complex tenders and in application processes which explains their high failure rate with EU financed projects. Learning by doing is, however, improving their skills and capacities. However, the design and structure of the EU programmes are also deficient in supporting the development of SMEs in need of more simple and transparent mechanisms which they can understand and cope with.
Volume (Year): 2(1) (2011)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cse.uaic.ro|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciumara, Tudor, 2009. "Points of reference in the evolution of the Romanian management consultancy market," MPRA Paper 19389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gábor HUNYA, 2011. "Problems of Romanian SMEs with tapping EU structural funds," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 2, pages 129-146, June.
- Popescu, Ramona & Ungureanu, Emilia, 2008. "Analysis of the Situation of Romanian Industrial Parks," MPRA Paper 11123, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pencea Sarmiza, 2009. "Clusterul şi beneficiile sale potenţiale. Experienţa Uniunii Europene," Revista OEconomica, Romanian Society for Economic Science, Revista OEconomica, issue 01, March.
- Vorniceanu, Marius & Covaci, Brindusa & Cocosatu, Cristinel Claudiu, 2009. "Credit Risk In Financing Sme In Romania," Papers 2009/24, Osterreichish-Rumanischer Akademischer Verein.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jes:journl:y:2011:v:2:p:129-146. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alupului Ciprian)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.