Project Scheduling Under Partially Renewable Resource Constraints
We consider a generalization of the classical resource constrained project scheduling problem. We introduce so-called partially renewable resources by assuming for each resource a capacity on subsets of periods. The concept of partially renewable resources is a fundamental tool in order to make, e.g., timetabling and shift scheduling aspects, amenable to project scheduling. In addition, partially renewable resources serve to model complicated labor regulations. Furthermore, they cover traditional renewable and nonrenewable resource constraints as special cases. We consider makespan minimization as objective. For the exact solution of the problem we employ a basic enumeration scheme. In order to speed up convergence, we formulate bounds which take into account future resource consumption of partially renewable resources. Moreover, we generalize the serial scheduling scheme in order to get fast approximation methods. A rigorous assessment of the procedures is provided by solving ProGen instances generated under a full factorial test design. Besides the well-known problem parameters we employ additionally three parameters which control the generation of partially renewable resources.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oguz, Osman & Bala, Hasan, 1994. "A comparative study of computational procedures for the resource constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 406-416, January.
- Erik Demeulemeester & Willy Herroelen, 1992. "A Branch-and-Bound Procedure for the Multiple Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(12), pages 1803-1818, December.
- Rainer Kolisch & Arno Sprecher & Andreas Drexl, 1995. "Characterization and Generation of a General Class of Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1693-1703, October.
- Andreas Drexl, 1991. "Scheduling of Project Networks by Job Assignment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(12), pages 1590-1602, December.
- Edward W. Davis & George E. Heidorn, 1971. "An Algorithm for Optimal Project Scheduling under Multiple Resource Constraints," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(12), pages B803-B816, August.
- Dale F. Cooper, 1976. "Heuristics for Scheduling Resource-Constrained Projects: An Experimental Investigation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(11), pages 1186-1194, July.
- Brucker, Peter & Knust, Sigrid & Schoo, Arno & Thiele, Olaf, 1998. "A branch and bound algorithm for the resource-constrained project scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 272-288, June.
- Boctor, Fayer F., 1990. "Some efficient multi-heuristic procedures for resource-constrained project scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, November.
- Erik L. Demeulemeester & Willy S. Herroelen, 1997. "New Benchmark Results for the Resource-Constrained Project Scheduling Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(11), pages 1485-1492, November.
- Li, K. Y. & Willis, R. J., 1992. "An iterative scheduling technique for resource-constrained project scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 370-379, February.
- F. Brian Talbot & James H. Patterson, 1978. "An Efficient Integer Programming Algorithm with Network Cuts for Solving Resource-Constrained Scheduling Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 24(11), pages 1163-1174, July.
- A. Alan B. Pritsker & Lawrence J. Waiters & Philip M. Wolfe, 1969. "Multiproject Scheduling with Limited Resources: A Zero-One Programming Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(1), pages 93-108, September.
- Christofides, Nicos & Alvarez-Valdes, R. & Tamarit, J. M., 1987. "Project scheduling with resource constraints: A branch and bound approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 262-273, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:4:p:543-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.