Borrow and Adjust: Fiscal Policy and Sectoral Adjustment in an Open Economy
Should the government run fiscal deficits in response to an adverse external shock that warrants transfer of resources from production of nontraded to traded goods? This article considers normative fiscal policy implications of sectoral adjustment costs in a two-sector model with overlapping generations. Fiscal deficits benefit present generations by depleting foreign assets and slowing down the adjustment process. We show that despite no nominal rigidities, temporary fiscal deficits increase social welfare if adjustment costs prevent immediate sectoral reallocation of inputs. If there are no adjustment costs, the case for fiscal deficits vanishes. Copyright 2003 By The Economics Department Of The University Of Pennsylvania And Osaka University Institute Of Social And Economic Research Association.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 44 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (05)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0020-6598 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1989.
"Building Blocks of Market Clearing Business Cycle Models,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 247-302
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin M. Murphy & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1989. "Building Blocks of Market Clearing Business Cycle Models," NBER Working Papers 3004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karp, Larry S. & Paul, Thierry, 1993.
"Phasing In And Phasing Out Protectionism With Costly Adjustments Of Labour,"
51112, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Karp, Larry & Paul, Thierry, 1994. "Phasing In and Phasing Out Protectionism with Costly Adjustment of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(427), pages 1379-92, November.
- Karp, Larry & Paul, Thierry, 1993. "Phasing in and Phasing Out Protectionism with Costly Adjustment of Labour," CEPR Discussion Papers 856, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aghion, P. & Blanchard, O.J., 1993.
"On the Speed of Transition in Central Europe,"
93-8, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Glenn M. MacDonald & Guang-Jia Zhang, 1994.
"The cyclical behavior of job creation and job destruction: a sectoral model,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
88, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Glenn M. MacDonald & Guang-Jia Zhang, 1995. "The cyclical behavior of job creation and job destruction: A sectoral model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 95-112.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & MacDonald, Glenn M & Zhang, Guang-Jia, 1996. "The Cyclical Behavior of Job Creation and Job Destruction: A Sectoral Model," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 95-112, January.
- Greenwood, J. & MacDonald, G. & Zhang, J.G., 1994. "The Cyclical Behavior of Job Creation and Job Destruction: A Sectoral Model," RCER Working Papers 394, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1984.
"Debt, Deficits and Finite Horizons,"
NBER Working Papers
1389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Huffman, Gregory W. & Wynne, Mark A., 1999.
"The role of intratemporal adjustment costs in a multisector economy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 317-350, April.
- Gregory W. Huffman & Mark A. Wynne, 1995. "The role of intratemporal adjustment costs in a multi-sector economy," Working Papers 9508, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Gavin, Michael, 1991. "Income effects of adjustment to a terms of trade disturbance and the demand for adjustment finance," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 127-153, November.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Short-Run Capital Specificity and the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 488-510, September.
- Murphy, Robert G., 1988. "Sector-specific capital and real exchange rate dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 7-12, March.
- Buiter, Willem H, 1988.
"Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 40(2), pages 220-45, June.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1986. "Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1986. "Structural and Stabilization Aspects of Fiscal and Financial Policy in the Dependent Economy," NBER Working Papers 2023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Collier, Paul & Gunning, Jan & Associates,, 1999. "Volume I: Africa," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198293385, March.
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1988. "Optimal Time-Consistent Fiscal Policy with Finite Lifetimes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 411-32, March.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1995.
"Social insurance and transition,"
547, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1988.
"Fiscal Deficits and Relative Prices in a Growing World Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
2725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1989. "Fiscal deficits and relative prices in a growing world economy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 461-484, May.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1989. "Intersectoral capital reallocation under price uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 309-325, May.
- Gavin, Michael, 1990. "Structural adjustment to a terms of trade disturbance : The role of relative prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3-4), pages 217-243, May.
- Mussa, Michael, 1978. "Dynamic Adjustment in the Heckscher-Ohlin-Samuelson Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 775-91, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Steigum, Jr.E., 1989. "Wealth, Structural Adjustment And Optimal Recovery From The Dutch Disease," Papers 06-89, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Steigum, Erling Jr., 1984. "Intersectoral transfer of labour in a small open economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 225-237, March.
- Philippe Aghion & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1994. "On the Speed of Transition Central Europe," NBER Working Papers 4736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ier:iecrev:v:44:y:2003:i:2:p:699-724. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.