Unanticipated money growth and the business cycle reconsidered
The role of unanticipated changes in money growth for aggregate fluctuations is reexamined using the methods of quantitative equilibrium business cycle theory. A stochastic growth model with money is constructed in which production and trade take place in spatially separated markets (islands). Following Robert E. Lucas (1972, 1975), individuals only observe prices in their own local market, causing them to confuse changes in the average price level with changes in market specific relative prices. The authors show that this mechanism can lead to large fluctuations in real economic activity. Some aspects of the statistical properties of these fluctuations, however, differ significantly from those describing U.S. business cycles. Copyright 1997 by Ohio State University Press.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1455 East 6th St., Cleveland OH 44114|
Web page: http://www.clevelandfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1987.
"The Inflation Tax in a Real Business Cycle Model,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
496, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," Papers 88-05, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1988. "The Inflation Tax In A Real Business Cycle Model," RCER Working Papers 155, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Finn E. Kydland, 1989. "The role of money in a business cycle model," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 23, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Rogerson, Richard, 1988.
"Indivisible labor, lotteries and equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 3-16, January.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994. "On the contribution of technology shocks to business cycles," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 22-34.
- Gary D. Hansen & Edward C. Prescott, 1992.
"Recursive methods for computing equilibria of business cycle models,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
36, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gary D. Hansen, . "GAUSS code for the Imrohoroglu (1989) model without aggregate uncertainty," QM&RBC Codes 10, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gary D. Hansen, . "GAUSS code for an overlapping generations model with inelastic labor supply," QM&RBC Codes 9, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gary D. Hansen, . "GAUSS code for a basic model with money, cash-in-advance constraint," QM&RBC Codes 8, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gary D. Hansen, . "GAUSS code for the basic Hansen (1985) model," QM&RBC Codes 7, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Gary D. Hansen, . "GAUSS code useful for many RBC models," QM&RBC Codes 6, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedcpr:y:1997:i:nov:p:624-652. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (4D Library)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.