The impact of IFRS implementation on Greek listed companies: An industrial sector and stock market index analysis
Purpose – While the Greek GAAP is stakeholder-oriented and commonly viewed as a historical cost accounting model, IFRS is shareholder-oriented and generally perceived as a fair-value accounting model. The study seeks to investigate the effects of adopting IFRSs on the financial statements of Greek listed companies. It focuses on major Greek industrial sectors and stock market indices and investigates the effects of IFRS adoption on company financial position and performance. Design/methodology/approach – A binary logistic regression has been applied in order to capture the differences between the pre-official adoption and official adoption periods. The model focuses on 2004 and 2005. The dependent variable is a dummy variable and takes the following values: 1 for 2005 and 0 for 2004. Findings – The study shows that IFRS implementation has influenced positively the profitability of most industrial sectors as well as those firms that belong to FTSE 40 and SMALLCAP 80. IFRS adoption appears to negatively influence liquidity for a number of industrial sectors and stock market constituents. An increase in leverage is obtained from the examination of the sample stock market indices and industrial sectors. Similar findings are evidenced for firms of large size and high financing needs. Research limitations/implications – The study is limited in the following respects. The results reflect short-term timing differences, which may reverse in later accounting periods. Also, companies should have anticipated IFRS adoption and might have adjusted their accounting policies accordingly, or even managed their reported numbers, in the period under investigation, since the EU Regulation passed in 2002. Originality/value – The findings of the study are useful for investors, shareholders, financial analysts and other market participants as they provide information about the impact of IFRS implementation per major sector and market index. The effects would be expected to vary as each sector and market index carries different financial attributes. Users of accounting information could make use of the findings of the study for the evaluation of the financial performance and prospects of a sector/index and for other investment decision-making purposes. The study also contributes to the literature as it focuses on a code law country that is stakeholder-oriented.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=ijmf Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenda van Tendeloo & Ann Vanstraelen, 2005. "Earnings management under German GAAP versus IFRS," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 155-180.
- Jordi Perramon & Oriol Amat, 2006. "IFRS introduction and its effect on listed companies in Spain," Economics Working Papers 975, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Street, Donna L. & Nichols, Nancy B. & Gray, Sidney J., 2000. "Assessing the Acceptability of International Accounting Standards in the US: An Empirical Study of the Materiality of US GAAP Reconciliations by Non-US Companies Complying with IASC Standards," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 27-63, 03.
- Annelies Renders & Ann Gaeremynck, 2007. "The Impact of Legal and Voluntary Investor Protection on the Early Adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)," De Economist, Springer, vol. 155(1), pages 49-72, March.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications,"
Journal of Accounting and Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications," Les Cahiers de Recherche 826, HEC Paris.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2002.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Mary E. Barth & Wayne R. Landsman & Mark H. Lang, 2008. "International Accounting Standards and Accounting Quality," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 467-498, 06.
- Patricia Teixeira Lopes & Rui Couto Viana, 2008. "The transition to IFRS: disclosures by Portuguese listed companies," FEP Working Papers 285, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Holger Daske & Luzi Hail & Christian Leuz & Rodrigo Verdi, 2008. "Mandatory IFRS Reporting around the World: Early Evidence on the Economic Consequences," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(5), pages 1085-1142, December.
- Ball, Ray & Kothari, S. P. & Robin, Ashok, 2000. "The effect of international institutional factors on properties of accounting earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-51, February.
- Ch. Spathis & M. Doumpos & C. Zopounidis, 2002. "Detecting falsified financial statements: a comparative study using multicriteria analysis and multivariate statistical techniques," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 509-535.
- Ball, Ray & Robin, Ashok & Wu, Joanna Shuang, 2003. "Incentives versus standards: properties of accounting income in four East Asian countries," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-3), pages 235-270, December.
- Charalambos Spathis & Eleftheria Georgakopoulou, 2007. "The adoption of IFRS in South Eastern Europe: the case of Greece," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1/2), pages 50-63.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijmfpp:v:7:y:2011:i:3:p:284-303. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.