Skewness and the linear discriminant function
Fisher’s linear discriminant function might be difficult to estimate, when data come from a semiparametric, finite mixture model. We propose an estimator based on the singular value decomposition of the third standardized cumulant. The estimator is consistent when sampling from a mixture of two symmetric, homoscedastic components with finite third moments and different weights. We also evaluate its performance and compare it with another estimator, which uses the eigenvectors of a kurtosis matrix.
Volume (Year): 83 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kollo, Tõnu, 2008. "Multivariate skewness and kurtosis measures with an application in ICA," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2328-2338, November.
- Pena D. & Prieto F.J., 2001. "Cluster Identification Using Projections," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1433-1445, December.
- Marc Genton & Nicola Loperfido, 2005. "Generalized skew-elliptical distributions and their quadratic forms," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 57(2), pages 389-401, June.
- Peña, Daniel & Prieto, Francisco J. & Viladomat, Júlia, 2010. "Eigenvectors of a kurtosis matrix as interesting directions to reveal cluster structure," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1995-2007, October.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
- Peña, Daniel & Prieto, Francisco J., 2000. "The kurtosis coefficient and the linear discriminant function," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 257-261, September.
- Posse, Christian, 1995. "Projection pursuit exploratory data analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 669-687, December.
- Adelchi Azzalini & Antonella Capitanio, 2003. "Distributions generated by perturbation of symmetry with emphasis on a multivariate skew "t"-distribution," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 65(2), pages 367-389.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:83:y:2013:i:1:p:93-99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.