Relationships between distributions with certain symmetries
The genesis of two-way links between the inverse Gaussian and Birnbaum–Saunders distributions is explored and extended. The most general results apply to pairs of distributions with a general ‘S-symmetry’ structure involving a self-inverse function closely related to a transformation function with certain properties. These general results arise by transformation from very simple properties of the familiar Azzalini-type skew-symmetric distributions. They specialise again to relationships between R-symmetric and log-symmetric distributions, between various models related to the inverse Gaussian and Birnbaum–Saunders distributions, relationships involving the sinh–arcsinh transformation, and others. Simple random variate generation is a practical consequence of these relationships.
Volume (Year): 82 (2012)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Rosco & M. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2011. "Skew t distributions via the sinh-arcsinh transformation," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 630-652, November.
- Antonio Sanhueza & Víctor Leiva & N. Balakrishnan, 2008. "A new class of inverse Gaussian type distributions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 31-49, June.
- M.C. Jones, 2007. "Connecting Distributions with Power Tails on the Real Line, the Half Line and the Interval," International Statistical Review, International Statistical Institute, vol. 75(1), pages 58-69, 04.
- Víctor Leiva & Hugo Hernández & Antonio Sanhueza, . "An R Package for a General Class of Inverse Gaussian Distributions," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 26(i04).
- M. C. Jones & Arthur Pewsey, 2009. "Sinh-arcsinh distributions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(4), pages 761-780.
- Ramesh C. Gupta & Debasis Kundu, 2011. "Weighted inverse Gaussian -- a versatile lifetime model," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(12), pages 2695-2708, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:82:y:2012:i:9:p:1737-1744. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.